Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Questions or problems (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How To Access Other banks from CoolSoftSynth (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=32536)

DisneyPianoKid 03-14-2015 06:12 PM

How To Access Other banks from CoolSoftSynth

Can I please get help on how to create custom banks PLEASE! I have CoolSoftMIDISynth and it comes with other sound patches besides GM sounds. I know how to get to the bank creator but I don't understand how to set up or find the proper controller numbers for the "crtl=0 Ctrl=32" thing.

I hope I gave enough information for someone to help!!

dj 03-15-2015 11:56 AM

Re: How To Access Other banks from CoolSoftSynth

Hi,

I don't have Coolsoft Virtual Midi Synth installed at the moment, although I've tried it out briefly in the past.

The following is pulled from the CoolSoft FAQ:

====================================

How does the Soundfont list work?
Think it like an ordered list of soundfont files, where the last loaded wins (at instrument level).

For normal use you could load a single (your preferred) soundfont and use it for all instruments.

But some users don't like some instruments contained in a SF2, so they could change them with others.

Suppose you configure a full GeneralMIDI soundfont at first position (A.SF2), then a small SF containing only your preferred Acoustic Grand Piano samples at second (B.SF2).

Now VirtualMIDISynth will use A.SF2 for all instruments except for Acoustic Grand Piano that will be played from B.SF.

=================

What I read here is that the CoolSoft expects people to be using a General Midi soundfont, containing the 127 general midi spec instruments. Then any additional soundfonts loaded in slots above that will displace their respectively numbered instruments in the "main" soundfont.

There are a couple of threads on the CoolSoft forum here:

http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/fo...isynth/general

that may help you.

I hope that helps. Good luck.

David

DisneyPianoKid 03-15-2015 03:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Actually what I meant to ask is how do I get to other banks that are included in the sound font I downloaded....I understand how the CoolSoftSynth software works and thanks you for the suggested help.

But I should have titled my post:
"How to Access Other Banks from Timbres of Heaven GM"

Now my question is:

How do I get to the sounds that are beyond general MIDI, and also how to create other banks besides a GM bank? The soundfont came with a key but I don't understand how to use it. That's what I need help on.

here's the key: Attachment 1336

It gives the a "Bank:Preset" and I don't know how to input that information into the bank creator/editor in Notation Composer.. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

THank YOu!

dj 03-15-2015 10:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Got you, now.

In the Setup/Midi Device Configuration dialogue box, you'll find your CoolSoft device somewhere.

Double click on it and you'll see the Device Properties dialogue.

Double click on Add Bank. In the pop-up, type in the name you want to call the bank and then type the number of the bank in the Ctrl 0= box. That's the left-most number in the Bank:Preset list. If it's bank 002, just type 2. Etc.

Then you need to add the instrument names and that takes typing. Remember that the list supplied is in the format 0-127, while Composer wants 1 to 128, so add 1 to each instrument number.

OR:

I installed Coolsoft to see what's going on and created the instrument banks for Timbres of Heaven, which is a very nice soundfont.

Attached is a .zip file containing an .mdd file which you should be able to use to import the Timbres of Heaven banks to your setup. (Note to Sherry or Reinhold: I think we should be able to upload a .mdd or a .ins file, which we can't at the moment.)

This contains all of the banks with all of the instruments, even though there are empty slots.

Good luck.

David

DisneyPianoKid 03-16-2015 05:09 AM

Thank you sooooo much!!!!!!

Sherry C 03-16-2015 10:34 AM

Hi guys,

David, thanks for the nudge. I've added the .ins and .mdd filetypes to the list of those which can be uploaded.

For all, most of the tasks like adding new instrument/patches and banks, you can find step-by-step instructions not only from David (who did an awesome job here in providing the .mdd file - thanks!) but also in Help/Users Guide. It has an Index feature where you can look up things, and then get step-by-step instructions with screenshots showing you exactly how to do things. It's not perfect, but it is pretty comprehensive. Just in case you just can't wait for an answer from a warm body ;)

ttfn,
Sherry