Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Questions or problems (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Split point ? (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=3990)

iandg 01-14-2012 01:59 PM

Split point ?

I wondered if there is a global parameter to set for this, in the context of the split hands option ?
I have looked around in the Guide, and found the select/shift + up/down arrow adjustment. But it would be nice to do a score at a click, and just use the adjustment as a fine tune.

Background context is piano score prompt for playing in jazz styles. Often you can assume the bass is played by a bass, you're playing melody or solo in the treble, and 'shells' or close 3- or 4- part chords in the alto register with the left. I find I can pick these up most readily as bass clef and upper ledger lines, so would probably set a split point to the G or G# above middle C.

Thanks

Ian G.:)

Sherry C 01-14-2012 02:22 PM

Re: Split point ?

Hi Ian,

There is not currently a "split at X note" command for the staff (it is on the "to do/wish list").

One "sneak technique" that has worked for this type of thing for organists (who split out such notes) is to use the "Staff/Split Drums" on the staff (yes, you read that correctly :) ) and then re-merge staves based on the note placement. Odd, but true.

ttfn,
Sherry

iandg 01-14-2012 04:35 PM

Yes, I can see that would work. Lateral thinking (the work-round) triumphs again. The mark of a truly skilled mind.........

Thanks, Sherry.

Ian G.

shelby 11-30-2014 04:43 PM

Hello,
actually I also would like to see this feature (setting a split point).

I have a somewhat related question/feature request.

I have situations where I have a piano score with 2 staffs. Occasionally I ahve found that when recording all the notes are being place in one staff. Is there a a way to move these notes to the other staff? When I use the split hands feature it creates a new staff. Currently I am going note by note and moving them to the other staff with the keyboard shortcut, but it woul dbe nice if I could select a section, split hands and have an option to target the other staff (or select a staff when there are more than 2).

Regards,
shelby

iandg 12-01-2014 10:20 AM

Sorry - I suspect I may just have fired off an incomplete message.

I was saying that one way of cutting down the number of notes you need to manually shift from one stave to another, is to use the split hands function more than once - ie split one of the 'splits' - and may be again, depending how many lines there are to begin with. You won't get a perfect result, but you'll probably save some work. And it's easy to recombine the various shards, in whichever combination you prefer.

Hope this helps

Ian:)