Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Questions or problems (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   displayed notes don't match pitch of palyed sound (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=30378)

Krypton17 10-10-2013 01:39 PM

displayed notes don't match pitch of palyed sound

2 Attachment(s)
I'm having trouble with midis that I download and then transpose. The notes in the transposed and printed score don't match with pitch that plays when I use the play back button or create a new midi after altering some of the notes. I've attached an example. The midi is the original midi file and it sounds fine. I transposed the melody to Bb Tenor sax in the attached .not file. If you click on the melody, one note at a time, it sounds fine, but if you use the playback feature or create a new midi the notes do not match the sound. Wierd results in fact. Sometimes notes play where there are no notes on the score at all. A similar problem I'm having is when I change a tied note for some reason the last note of the tie has a purple line in it and is at a different pitch. Totally seperate question: When I create a new staff the notes show as little x's and triangles. How do I make them into notes?

Sherry C 10-10-2013 02:45 PM

Re: displayed notes don't match pitch of palyed sound

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krypton17 (Post 62369)
The notes in the transposed and printed score don't match with pitch that plays when I use the play back button or create a new midi after altering some of the notes. I've attached an example. The midi is the original midi file and it sounds fine. I transposed the melody to Bb Tenor sax in the attached .not file. If you click on the melody, one note at a time, it sounds fine, but if you use the playback feature or create a new midi the notes do not match the sound.

I'm not experiencing this problem when I open both files and compare the pitches that I hear on playback for measures 7-9. Steps I'm taking:
1. Open both files, and use Window/Tile Horizontally so I can see both files at the same time.
2. Click the "Solo" button for the "Melody" staff in each file.
3. Set the Playback cursor at measure 7 (m7) for each.
4. Play one file for m7-9, then immediately go and play the other file (m7-9). The concert pitches are the same.

What do I need to do to hear the problem?

Quote:

Sometimes notes play where there are no notes on the score at all.
If there are notes in other staves that are not listed in a part, then those notes will play even though they are not displayed. Where is this happening at in the file? I'm asking because I did not notice anything that seemed out of place when I played the file back, but I haven't been working with it as closely as you have either :)

Quote:

A similar problem I'm having is when I change a tied note for some reason the last note of the tie has a purple line in it and is at a different pitch.
Which tied note, and what change are you trying to make to it? Knowing specifics will help me to better help here :)

Quote:

Totally seperate question: When I create a new staff the notes show as little x's and triangles. How do I make them into notes?
This is probably due to the [ ] Drum Instrument box in the lower left of the "Add Staff" dialog being checked. If that box is checked, then be sure to uncheck it for a "regular" instrument to show regular noteheads.

ttfn,
Sherry

Krypton17 10-10-2013 03:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherry C (Post 62370)
Hi,

I'm not experiencing this problem when I open both files and compare the pitches that I hear on playback for measures 7-9. Steps I'm taking:
1. Open both files, and use Window/Tile Horizontally so I can see both files at the same time.
2. Click the "Solo" button for the "Melody" staff in each file.
3. Set the Playback cursor at measure 7 (m7) for each.
4. Play one file for m7-9, then immediately go and play the other file (m7-9). The concert pitches are the same.

What do I need to do to hear the problem?

If there are notes in other staves that are not listed in a part, then those notes will play even though they are not displayed. Where is this happening at in the file? I'm asking because I did not notice anything that seemed out of place when I played the file back, but I haven't been working with it as closely as you have either :)

Thank you for quick reply. I did the solo note thing. Try opening just the .not file. set at measure 7 and hit the play button. If you know the song you will hear it is not correct. Now go back to measure 7 and highlight the first note. now play through using the arrow keys. I get completely different sounds.

Which tied note, and what change are you trying to make to it? Knowing specifics will help me to better help here :)

I found an example see red rubber ball .not below As I play it that purple line appears on the ties.

This is probably due to the [ ] Drum Instrument box in the lower left of the "Add Staff" dialog being checked. If that box is checked, then be sure to uncheck it for a "regular" instrument to show regular noteheads.

This fixed this issue!! thanks.

ttfn,
Sherry

See replies above

Krypton17 10-14-2013 12:44 AM

[QUOTE=Krypton17;62371]See replies above[/QUOTE I think I figured out part of the problem. It seems that the orignal midi had some notes that had their pitches bending to the point that they were actually a 1/2 step higher than the note displayed on the staff. So when I adjusted the staff and moved the note up it created a "wrong" pitch. I figured out how to erare the pitch bends and that cures most of my issues. I still seem to have those purple lines on tied notes as noted in Red Rubber Ball. Not sure what that is about. Thanks,Mike

Sherry C 10-14-2013 01:33 AM

Hi Mike,

I think for the "purple lines", you're talking about during playback, the ties highlight. That's because they are part of how those tied notes are notated, and so they "highlight" when those notes are sounding.

If that's not what you're alluding to, then I'll need more explanation as the "highlight while they're playing' is the only behavior I'm seeing.

ttfn,
Sherry