Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Share Your Music (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rhumba Medley #1 Septet (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=32598)

rrayner 08-10-2015 08:28 PM

Rhumba Medley #1 Septet

1 Attachment(s)
This septet work, "Rhumba Medley #1" was originally arranged by Paul Kelly in the mid-60s. Paul, our trumpet player in my working septet, along with Charles (Chuck) Sayre (bassist), also attended Berklee and were on the USAF Band Arranging Staff at the same time I served. This was an enjoyable chart to play, so I have captured it to be able to play along with it. I have taken credit as co-arranger on this piece, as I had to write the drum part and most of the bass part (admittedly not very complex). As I have mentioned before, writing for rhythm section was not emphasized back in the early '60s when I attended Berklee. Paul's drum part was essentially "play a rhumba rhythm", and the bass and piano parts were mostly chords symbols in the appropriate number of measures.

Paul did some interesting things in this chart. There are a number of places where all of the horns are playing in their high range, which adds an intensity to the performance. There are some rich voicing, considering there are only four horns. Also, there are some three-voice sections and two-voice sections.

The first song in the medley, "Miami Beach Rhumba", was written in 1946 by Irving Fields. The second song, "Nightingale", was written in 1942 by Xavier Cugat and George Rosner.

I thought to include an MP3 version of a live performance by my septet, "The Nocturnes" from a 1964 New Year's gig at the Elk's Lodge in Paul's home town of Sanford, NC, but it is too large for this Forum.

I hope you enjoy seeing and hearing this piece.

Ralph Rayner

Sherry C 08-10-2015 08:40 PM

Re: Rhumba Medley #1 Septet

Hi Ralph,

What a fun piece! I'm saving this one to play along with on my bass :)

I would dearly love to have a big band arrangement of this for our band. Maybe I should work on one, unless you've already got one ;)

Thanks for sharing !

ttfn,
Sherry

rrayner 08-10-2015 08:47 PM

Hi Sherry. Thanks!

No big band setting in the offing, but there will be a recorder duet reduction come September.

I had forgotten to mention that there are "working" parts for the horns in the Working Score, where I simulated the glissandi, drops, etc.

Ralph

Sherry C 08-10-2015 09:05 PM

Hi Ralph,

Yes, your "working" tracks are a great addition to the performance of the song :) It's helpful to me to see what you've done in terms of performance and to see how you've notated or annotated that in the score. I'm aspiring to do a bit more arranging for our band, and your scores are always good for my learning curve :)

Thanks!
Sherry

herbert 08-12-2015 11:27 AM

Just amazing. As always, I appreciate your musical contributions. I am listening to it with the MS GS Wavetable Synth. Any plans to use a VST instrument library such as JABB ?

Best wishes,

Herbert

rrayner 08-13-2015 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbert (Post 66310)
Just amazing. As always, I appreciate your musical contributions. I am listening to it with the MS GS Wavetable Synth. Any plans to use a VST instrument library such as JABB ?

Best wishes,

Herbert

Thank you, Herbert. I am off on an island by myself, except for my contact with Notation folks, and the Forum contributors like yourself. What would adding libraries do for me? Wouldn't the Notation files I post still be the same as they are now without me adding libraries? Or would it just be a matter of me enhancing my listening on my PC? As it is, I export my files to my Clavinova, which has a much better sound palette than my GM stock sound card. So, unless it would improve my postings, I probably don't need the extra add-ons. Interesting topic.

Ralph

herbert 08-16-2015 10:46 AM

Hi,

“Interesting topic” yes interesting topic. It would be good to also hear from other forum members on this topic.

The important and exciting part for me is the public performance. As you know, I produce orchestral backing tracks for vocalists, sometimes incorporating sound effects where suitable, to heighten the entertainment value. I strive for realistic sounds of the orchestral instrumentation. For the performances, I always use my own versatile, reasonably powerful sound system. This allows me some fine-tuning of the presentation. Though the audience is usually quite moderate in size, observing an enthusiastic and appreciative audience is rewarding.

Cheers,

Herbert