Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Separating Soloist Part (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=2149)

OldFingers 01-06-2006 02:19 AM

I'm a beginning piano stud

I'm a beginning piano student who uses Band-in-a-box to record my piano teacher to the Soloist part with Simple Jazz Style that uses a drum and bass to set the timing. I'm trying to use Musician (30-day trial) to extract and display the Soloist part so that I can see what my teacher has done and hopefully separate the RH and LH.

So far, if I extract "one part", the soloist part, I only get a melody line splattered over the bass and treble clefs. If I extract "two parts", the soloist and the bass, I see everything my teacher has done, also splattered over the bass and treble clefs along with the bass part. Am I trying to do the impossible? If not, how have I messed up?

David Jacklin (dj) 01-06-2006 02:30 PM

Hi, Oldfinger (I'm sur

Hi, Oldfinger (I'm sure that's not your real name):

It's possible to combine the staves using the Merge Staves option under the Staff menu. That might bring your parts back together.

I'm not sure how BIAB saves its tracks (even though I have the software). Perhaps you might upload an example file here so that we can see the problem.

It shouldn't be too hard to come up with a solution.

David

OldFingers 01-06-2006 04:34 PM

David: Sorry, my name is Bo

David:

Sorry, my name is Bob, but I do have "old fingers". Here is the file I've been working with.

Thanks for the quick response.

Bob<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.notation.com/discus/icons/mime_midi.gifMIDI file
Long Ago (and Far Away).MID (28.0 k)</td></tr></table></center>

Sherry Crann (sherry) 01-06-2006 05:04 PM

Howdy Bob, It must be a lot

Howdy Bob,

It must be a lot of fun learning piano with some jazzy pieces like this!

If your teacher is recording to the soloist track in Biab, then the part that s/he's playing should be all in that track. There is also another piano track in the MIDI file, which may be confusing things somewhat, though I did notice that the volume for that track was set to zero.

I'm attaching a file below. The steps that I took to get there are as follows:

1. Open the .mid file, and click "Part/Select part from one or more staves"

2. I selected the "Soloist (BB)" staff. You'll notice there is also a small box at the bottom that you can select to "Mute the staves not displayed". This may be helpful if you want to give full attention to only the part you've selected.

3. Clicked ok, then kept the name "Soloist (BB)"

4. All the notes now display on one clef. So I clicked the "Staff/Split hands" in the menu bar.

5. Click on the "Soloist (BB)" staff (it's the only one there. You'll also see that there is a "Transcription Options" button you can click, to select between Standard, Swing, or Syncopated rhythms. You may find this useful for different styles, as this option will then reproduce the notation more faithfully to something that is more easily readable, and thus more easily played.

6. Click "ok" (I kept the transcription option "standard" in this example).

7. I didn't adjust the file any farther than this. However, you can look through a "split hands" like this and see that some of the notes are probably notated on the "wrong" clef. To move these notes to the proper clef, you just click on the note, then use the Shift key, and the Up/Down arrow buttons to move the note from one clef to the other.

If you haven't done it already, it would probably be helpful to you to work through the relatively short Tutorial section. You can find it under "Help/Quick Start Tutorial". It will take you through a number of tasks that you can do with Musician, and will give you a good feel for how the program is designed.

I hope this is helpful!
ttfn,
Sherry
<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.notation.com/discus/icons...hment_icon.giftwo handed soloist
Long_Ago__and_Far_Away_ soloist part in two hands.not (272.1 k)</td></tr></table></center>

OldFingers 01-08-2006 10:38 PM

Sherry: Thanks for getting

Sherry:

Thanks for getting me started.

I spent the better part of the weekend applying the Tutorial to my test file, adding the chord notation, then correcting the guesses. I had a hard time moving the notes that had been applied to the RH melody to the LH chords. The "shift-down-key" changed staves OK but often missed the chord and then I had to mess around trying to relocate the note to the top of the chord. As a cop-out, I wasted some time trying to move the notes around, by deleting them and adding them, only to find out that I need "Composer" to "add" notes. I ended up with a bunch of meaningless "rests" which I didn't know how to clean up.

My final product is a bit of a mess, as I get the "Soloist Part (BB)" printed with every measure. I couldn't quite figure out how to remove it by editing "free text". Also, I never was able to figure out how to put four measures on a line, no matter what "font" size or "Zoom Out" I used.

It is fun learning the piano using these "jazzy" pieces, but it means I just can't play the melody line and chords from the Lead Sheet. I have to develop more musicality and need to improvise over the chord changes. BAIB has been great for learning the chords and melody line and MusicNotate would make it possible for me to see how my teacher embellishes the music. Together they would make a powerful learning tool for beginners like me.

Do you have any suggestions as to how I should proceed?

Bob