Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Share Your Music (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Seasonal salutations (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=30605)

dj 12-03-2013 01:34 PM

Seasonal salutations

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, all:

As the holiday season has already started, with Hanukkah coinciding with U.S. Thanksgiving for the last time in 60,000 years, I thought I'd put up a seasonal number early, this year.

This is the finale from our current show, Every Christmas Story Ever Told. It's a fun and silly romp for three old coots -- er, mature performers -- in which they try to tell every Christmas story ever told. Also, touching on Hanukkah and Kwanzaa, among other things.

The original version of this is by Will Knapp, but the sheet music supplied at the end of the script is, frankly, unreadable and unperformable, so I did my own arrangement.

It's fun.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Joyous Kwanzaa etc.

David

P.S. the reference to "dung branch" is from the show. Mistletoe is from the Anglo-Saxon words for "dung" and "branch" or "stick", as the Anglo-Saxons believed that mistletoe grew on trees (it's a parasite) because of the stuff that little birdies left behind after sitting on the branches. So, go ahead: stand under the dung-branch sprig and pucker up!

dj 12-24-2014 09:22 PM

Re: Seasonal salutations

2 Attachment(s)
Once again, the Yuletide rolls around.

Here, near Canada's capital, we are having a traditional white Christmas -- well, fog is white, isn't it? Totally socked in.

Here is a little prezzie. It's a song from a kid's show that I wrote back in the early 80s and performed many places for a long time. This year, we revived the show last week for a couple of performances and had great fun.

Attached is a pic of me performing the show, called What Samuel Aloycious Theodore Herman Michael Jones Got For Christmas, last week for a small, but captivated audience.

Do, please, watch the attached file (Christmas Eve with instrumental solos.not) in Page View while you play it -- it's prettier that way.

Merry Christmas to all.

David

Sherry C 12-25-2014 02:14 PM

Hi David,

Thanks for sharing yet another of your excellent pieces with us :) Maybe it's just the gifts that were exchanged this morning, but the music has a "steampunk" feel to it with the 6/8 meter and the instrumentation. Very fitting for our situation :) I've now added this to my annual DJ Christmas playlist :)

And you're right - setting the lyrics to green and the highlighted notes to red gives it a very Christmas-colorful lighting effect :)

Merry Christmas!
Sherry

Sherry C 12-25-2014 02:16 PM

p.s. That looks like a good time had by all in the picture :)

sac