Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Share Your Music (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   My first Arrangement (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=2868)

jcardana 10-27-2009 12:09 AM

My first Arrangement

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my first shot at making an arrangement. Feedback is welcome.

http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/att...1&d=1256601939

Sherry C 10-27-2009 08:18 AM

Re: My first Arrangement

Howdy,

Wow - that's some first arrangement! I'm thinking it must be the first one you did with Composer, not the first one you've ever done :)

From what I'm hearing, this should work well as a band arrangement. I'd be interested to hear a bit more background about the band and what you're doing with them.

When I switched to Page view, I noticed that the individual parts all scored nicely, but the conductor's score was "squished" at the top. It looked like the staves had all been shifted to where they overlapped with the heading text. I just clicked on the Layout tab, then Page layout, and 'grabbed' the red square in the middle of the top staff. I then dragged the whole notation portion of the score down so it wasn't overlapping the heading text anymore. It all looks great - you did a really nice job with this!

I don't play any of these instruments, so I'll leave it to others to comment about playability and such. But if I were sitting in the stands (eg. for a half-time show at a football game), I think I'd really enjoy this performance :)

ttfn,
Sherry

jcardana 10-27-2009 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherry C (Post 13048)
Howdy,

Wow - that's some first arrangement! I'm thinking it must be the first one you did with Composer, not the first one you've ever done :)

Nope, first one EVER... kinda... I play the organ so I do make arrangements, but I've never done anything like this before.

Quote:

From what I'm hearing, this should work well as a band arrangement. I'd be interested to hear a bit more background about the band and what you're doing with them.
You're right, it's for my dad's band, the Amador County Community Band - http://www.accband.org/ My dad complains he's always having to transpose his music (French Horn). I'm not really affiliated with the band except that I record their performances and make cd's so dad can hand them out to the members.

Quote:

When I switched to Page view, I noticed that the individual parts all scored nicely, but the conductor's score was "squished" at the top.
Yeah, I noticed that too.

Quote:

It looked like the staves had all been shifted to where they overlapped with the heading text. I just clicked on the Layout tab, then Page layout, and 'grabbed' the red square in the middle of the top staff. I then dragged the whole notation portion of the score down so it wasn't overlapping the heading text anymore. It all looks great - you did a really nice job with this!
Thanks, now I know how to fix it. I've been "playing" with this software for a few days now and am still learning the techniques.

Quote:

I don't play any of these instruments, so I'll leave it to others to comment about playability and such.
My dad's going to review the individual instruments and provide some guidance. After I get the music to the band members, I'll get much more feedback on what they want.

Quote:

But if I were sitting in the stands (eg. for a half-time show at a football game), I think I'd really enjoy this performance :)
Thanks so much for the positive critizism.

I'm still making minor changes for tempo and volumes and such. You may have noticed the flute and Piccolo are way too loud compared to the trombones and horns, but I'm tweaking them.

Sherry C 10-27-2009 08:38 PM

Howdy,

Re. the score for transposing instruments: you can choose to show either concert pitch (which is what you have right now) or the Instrument Transposed pitches for the conductor's score and/or the individual instrument parts. In either the Staff or Format menu, you can select to show Concert or Instrument transposed pitches.

For sound balance, it's sometimes very dependent on the particular MIDI playback device that one uses. For instance, my default playback device is an SB Audigy 2 soundcard that I have loaded with soundfonts. When I played the song, the flute sounded fine, but the saxes were really low. It may be instructive to let folks know what device you're using, so we can understand where any differences in dynamic nuances may arise with our own favorite playback device. If you're using something like the GS Wavetable, then folks can use that (it's standard on Windows computers) to get a better idea of the relative instrument balance. Or if you're not, we'll know why it sounds different :)

Keep up the great work! I'll be looking forward to hearing more :)

ttfn,
Sherry

jcardana 10-28-2009 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherry C (Post 13054)
For sound balance, it's sometimes very dependent on the particular MIDI playback device that one uses.

I have the SB Audigy 2zs w/7.1 / I don't think I have soundfonts installed (I don't know what it's for or does)

I opened the Quick MIDI Device Setup and changed it from the GS Wavetable to SB Audigy 2ZS Synth A.

I did that for the other editor I have, but forgot for this one, thanks for reminding me.:o Sounds much better.