Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Tips and tricks for using Notation Software products (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   editing pitchbend (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=30435)

Lord Elpus 11-13-2013 03:19 AM

editing pitchbend

I am working with <Composer> on an imported midi file which I created myself - on the sax part and I have this problem.

The 4th beat of the preceding bar has a pb DOWN to the semibreve of the next bar. The interval between the notes is a major6th (down).

I can display the pb data, but on playback, its sounding the semibreve a semitone lower than written.

I've tried deleting the semibreve and re-entering it - but its still a semitone lower than written.

If I <select> the note, it sounds at the correct pitch:eek:

I figured that if I could CUT OFF the pb data earlier - it might not interfere.

I've tried to redraw the pb - but only seem to be able to "re-arrange" whats there already - and it produces a very jagged "staircase" curve, rather than the smooth one already in the file.

Is there an event-list editor hidden away anywhere?

I realise this is probably pushing the boundaries of what is after all a notation application, towards its sequencer aspects . . . but . . . . .

Any ideas?

Best Regards

Lord Elpus

Sherry C 11-13-2013 03:36 PM

Re: editing pitchbend

Hi,

It is indeed the pitch bend that is giving you grief :)

The good news is that Composer allows you to edit that pitch bend using the Graph Over Notes tools. It's a MIDI cc editor that you can edit right over top of the notation, so you can see exactly where it's going to affect the sound.

In Graph Over Notes tab, click on the Pitch Bend button (quarter note with a wavy line) and you can see AND edit the Pitch Bend(s) that are in the score. If you want to just delete all of them, (1) click the Staff Select button, then (2) hit the "Delete" key on your keyboard.

To edit them, you can click on whichever draw tool you want to use (depending on how you want the bend to sound). This will probably require a little practice if you've never done it before, and Zooming in the score will help with "fine tuning" it (gives you a bigger "canvas" as it were.)

Hope this helps get you going. David Jacklin is the best guy for Pitch Bends that I know - he may have more/better tips.

ttfn,
Sherry

Lord Elpus 11-13-2013 08:19 PM

Re: editing pitchbend

Sherry,

Firstly - many thanks for your swift response. I will try as you have suggested.

Being a new user, as you say - I need to get much more comfortable with the way that Composer does things, and that's only going to come by DOING:)

I would like to take the opportunity to compliment you on your video tutorials. It was these that first convinced me that Composer would be of interest to me - as they answered many questions before I asked them . . .
My only previous - is with Sibelius6 and then more in a support role rather than user-proper . . . . and the two apps are different for sure.

The pb-down I'm attempting in the sax part, I've seen in pop-scores described as a "poco fall":eek: and is quite hard to DO on a keyboard - as indeed is trying to play "like a saxophone player" anyway . . . .

If truth be told - probably I need an Akai EWI4000 - but that is way out of my price range - not to say the learning curve it would entail.:D

I think the Musician and Composer products have identified an important and interesting niche in the Notation market - and at a price point that is simply irresistible, and I wish you and the company, continued success with them.

I look forward to learning it more thoroughly.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Best Regards

Lord Elpus