PDA

View Full Version : Help

faith34
11-28-2006, 02:21 PM
I'm using the trial thingy, and I am a definite begginer with piano. how do I write music if most of the keys used are black? I don't know how. I can write sheet music if it only consists of white keys, but on the midi notate I don't know how to write sheet music when a bunch of the notes are black. Also, I know nothing about how to read sheet music if the notes are black

Sherry Crann (sherry)
11-28-2006, 04:43 PM
Hello,

The black keys are the sharps (notated with a #) or flats (notated with a symbol that looks like a "b") that come between some of the letter notes. For instance, the black key above C is the half-step between C and D, and is notated as C# or Db, depending on the key signature of the music.

Actually, if you're using Composer, you can write the sheet music as if it were all on the white keys (key of C), then transpose the pitches to another key (with sharps/flats, "the black keys") for another musician.

For some good info and exercises, you can try out http://www.teoria.com/index.html

I'm sure there are other folks here who can explain things much more thoroughly and expertly than myself, as I am mostly a bass and guitar hack ;)

ttfn,
Sherry

David Jacklin (dj)
11-29-2006, 01:12 PM
Hey, Sherry:

Sherry dissed herself with: I am mostly a bass and guitar hack

I thought the definition of a band was four musicians and a drummer, not four musicians and a bassist! http://www.notation.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif

David

Sherry Crann (sherry)
11-29-2006, 02:47 PM
Howdy David,

Well, after doing some fairly serious (for me) study of bass methods, and how they work with the drums, I have come to have a very high regard for good drummers. What they do (when done well) is nothing short of amazing. (I also have a great respect for good ones, because I've played with a couple who were fairly awful, and it was a very painful experience.)

Of course that's not going to stop me from telling drummer jokes - I am a bass player after all ;)

ttfn,
Sherry

Q: How many bass players does it take to change a light bulb?
A: None - the keyboard player can do it with his left hand.

(now I won't feel so bad when I tell the next drummer joke ;) )

David Jacklin (dj)
11-30-2006, 01:39 PM
ROFL!

christian v.
08-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Hello, I was reading your post/ thread ? by chance and I 've had a look at the site teoria : quite good !
Actually, my present problem is to match the French specific music teminology with th English one. Phewww , it's like learning music twice, but fortunately, in this site everything is classified by topic so I gues I will have to copy/ paste the words I don't know in English.
Christian ( from Lyon in France)

Hello,

The black keys are the sharps (notated with a #) or flats (notated with a symbol that looks like a "b") that come between some of the letter notes. For instance, the black key above C is the half-step between C and D, and is notated as C# or Db, depending on the key signature of the music.

Actually, if you're using Composer, you can write the sheet music as if it were all on the white keys (key of C), then transpose the pitches to another key (with sharps/flats, "the black keys") for another musician.

For some good info and exercises, you can try out http://www.teoria.com/index.html

I'm sure there are other folks here who can explain things much more thoroughly and expertly than myself, as I am mostly a bass and guitar hack ;)

ttfn,
Sherry

Sherry C
08-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Howdy Christian,

Actually, my present problem is to match the French specific music teminology with th English one. Phewww , it's like learning music twice, but fortunately, in this site everything is classified by topic so I gues I will have to copy/ paste the words I don't know in English.
Christian ( from Lyon in France)

That would be a great resource for our French (and English) friends! We also have a lot of users from all over the globe, as well as folks who just have music-related questions. I've been considering setting up a "general music tips" area for a while, so this is the time to do it. I've just set up a new forum "General Music Tips and Questions" and I'll add a link from this thread to that one.

I'm looking forward to seeing your work! My daughter is currently learning French, and she loves music as well, so this may be a good way for her to combine two of her interests.

ttfn,
Sherry

Sherry C
08-21-2009, 02:37 PM
p.s. Christian, you may want to start a new thread with a more descriptive title that relates to "French and English music terminology" or something. This thread is titled "Help" which is not very helpful as a description ;)

ttfn,
Sherry

dj
08-22-2009, 12:50 PM
Hi, all:

Related to French/English musical translation, my wife, a teacher, is facing some difficulties right now in teaching solfeggio music to students in our newly integrated French/English classes.
The basic problem has been the difficulty faced with the fact that the French system has a non-moveable "doh" (the note, not the Homer Simpson exclamation), ie., "doh" is always the note C, whereas "doh" in English vocal music moves with the key.

Makes for some difficulties with nomenclature.

David

mgj32
08-23-2009, 06:54 AM
Hi C,

See if this helps. http://www.geocities.com/msicdic/

all best,
mgj

christian v.
08-23-2009, 07:20 PM
hello,
do you mean that, for example "doh" could be G in a scale of G major, B in a scale of B, etc ? Well, I have learnt the English system with the following correspondance :
A B C D E F G
la si do ré mi fa sol and I tried to memeorize with tricks A in la, F = fa.
I don't quite see what the problem is with students. Perhaps they might stick to the English system to talk about degrees and use the French one, talking about notes (i don't know if Imake it clear ,)

dj
08-24-2009, 02:15 PM
Hi, Christian:

Well, my understanding of her problem (and it's not me that's teaching it) is in the transfer between the two systems.

Yes, in the English system, doh is always the tonic of the current key. As I understand it, in the French system, doh (and the succeeding solfegge symbols) represent C, D, E, F, G, A, B, and back to doh (C), so that if a song is in the key of F, then the tonic note is sung as fah, whereas in English, it would be doh.

Now, the difficulty is that in Canada, there can be no allowed differentiation between English and French -- the political pravda (to introduce Russian into the bilingual mix) is that the two are equal and interchangeable. When the opposite is proved, then the bureaucrats go into denial mode and blame the messenger.

Plus ça change plus c'est la même chose.

Or whatever that means in English.

Regards,

David