PDA

View Full Version : How do I move a note up or down on the save quickly

Eamonn O'Hogain (eamonx1)
03-27-2009, 03:00 PM
If I insert a note in the wrong place, can I move it to the right place without having to delete it and re-insert it. In otherwords can I 'lift' it and place it in the correct place (a semi-tone up or down etc)

Sherry Crann (sherry)
03-27-2009, 10:28 PM
Howdy Eamonn,

Yes, you can "Enable dragging of note pitches". It's the last command in the Note menu.

ttfn,
Sherry

03-28-2009, 06:00 AM
Thanks Sherry, have done.

M G Jacobs (mgj32)
03-29-2009, 12:43 AM
Hi Eamonn,

There is another easy way to move notes by a half step, up or down. That is to use the + or - keys on the number keypad. You can also use the + or - on the row of numbers just above the alpha keys, but since I enter keys with a mouse, it's very easy to reach the inch or two for the keypad. You can also move a note an octave, either way by holding the shift key when you hit + or -. Actually, these are both easy and quick ways to take a notes one way or the other.

all best,
mgj

03-29-2009, 08:58 PM
Most interesting. I have tried it and cannot get it to work. I must be doing something wrong. This is what I am doing. 1. Open Notation Composer. 2. Click on 'Create New Song'. 3. Click time signature etc until the page appears before me. 4. Click 'Add Mode' Button. I then add a note (any note). It is 'blue'. So far so good. Then I press the plus or minus key on my keyboard. I expect the note to move up or down. It doesn't. Come back to me on this. I am obviously omitting something

M G Jacobs (mgj32)
03-29-2009, 09:25 PM
Hi Eamonn,

My guess would be that you don't have the num lock on--the on/off key is just above the 7. Otherwise, I followed the steps you listed above and had no problem, either after just entering a note, or going back to and re-selecting it. If your green num lock light isn't on, try that.

all best,
mgj

03-29-2009, 10:36 PM
Am using a laptop. With number lock on or off makes no difference. Pressing the + or - keys do not seem to register. The note does not move.
By the way I notice that when I have entered a note in the wrong place and try to correct it by pressing the arrow keys up or down, the note on the page does move into the correct place. However when I click on the mouse to finalise the note (from blue to black) it reverts to the original mistaken location.

Sherry Crann (sherry)
03-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Howdy Eamonn,

Are you using the "P + up/down arrow key"? Does that work properly for correcting the pitch of the selected note (and staying that way)? Or is this what you referred to as "reverts to the original mistaken location"?

Also, the "+" or "-" will need to be from a standard number keypad, not the one along the top of the qwerty portion of your keyboard. I haven't tried the "+" or "-" shortcuts on my own laptop, but I know from some other software that sometimes shortcuts involving my number pad don't always work. I have an older Dell laptop.

ttfn,
Sherry

03-29-2009, 11:20 PM
Thanks. I didn't realise I should insert the 'P' key before the arrow key. Using the 'P' + Arrow allows me to correct the pitch. Great. Dont have a number pad on my keypad. But the problem is solved using the P kep plus arrow. Greeting from Ireland