PDA

View Full Version : Breath Mark

Frank Newman (4209fr)
02-24-2008, 02:02 PM
I do not see a 'breath mark' in any toolbar, nor have I been able to find it mentioned in the Help (except related to a slur).

In order to mark the end of a phrase or the need for a slight break between notes (or phrases) that are not the end of a slur, or, to signify a place to breathe for appropriate instruments, would you please add a "breath mark" (an apostrophe) to either the Note toolbar or the Expressions toolbar (or both).

Thanx.
Frank Newman

M G Jacobs (mgj32)
02-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Hi Frank,

Hit Shift + F, the click the mouse where you want the apostrophe. A free text box will appear. Now select the button farthest to the left on the lower tool bar. Default is All Symbols; it's there on the second, I believe, line. Or it is also in the Articulations menu (the drop down list). Just click it, and it will appear in the free text box. You can now move it, enlarge or reduce it, copy/paste it.

all best,
mgj

Sherry Crann (sherry)
02-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Howdy guys,

Or

1. Shift + F
2. Click in the score where you want the breath mark
3. Type in an apostrophe from your qwerty keyboard.

Also you can:

4. Use the palette tools (third level buttons on the palette) to enlarge, make it bold, or whatever http://www.notation.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif
5. You can also "grab" the little red box to move it around wherever you want to particularly place it.

ttfn,
Sherry

Frank Newman (4209fr)
02-24-2008, 11:43 PM
Hello, MG and Sherry -
About 5 minutes after I posted the suggestion, I thought about using the Free Text and a keyboard apostrophe. That is what I have done for the score that I am working on (or just finished).

MG -
Using the search word, "articulations", it mentions the accents palette. The 3rd from the left is a solid down arrow for a "light accent". I still see no "apostrophe" anywhere.

Sherry -
I don't use the Playback feature, but I have heard people discussing it on other forums in relation to Finale (mainly). It appears that the articulations (accents, etc.) do affect the Playback. So that is mainly why I suggested including it on one (or a couple) of the palettes. Then, the preceeding note would be slightly shortened (and, maybe, a slight ritard made, with an immediate a tempo). If that is too much programming, then it would be much faster to have the 'apostrophe' available on a palette and hot key than to go the Free Text route.

Frank Newman

Sherry Crann (sherry)
02-25-2008, 12:15 AM
Howdy Frank,

Good suggestion!

ttfn,
Sherry