PDA

View Full Version : fermata how best to handle

john s. smith (jss)
01-26-2009, 12:54 AM
Hi,
Just to ask what is the best way top handle a fermata (pause) in NC? I can add the symbol ok - and as documentation says, this does not actually affect the performance. So... if I use the as-performed piano roll feature to extend the duration of the pause that will work until the start of the next bar - at which point the first note in that bar will sound! Not what's wanted. Could insert an empty bar and extend into that but doesn't look to good on the score (that's what I'm doing now though). Only other way I can think of is to insert an abrupt change in tempo to slow it down and then start it up again. Not very neat and not easy to get to sound right. So, is there a proper/better way to do it?
thanks
-John

Herbert WENDE (herbert)
01-26-2009, 05:40 AM
Hi John,

The method I use is “Edit tempo” in “Graph Over Notes”. I add extra measures at times, such as in an ending, when the printed music does not get confusing.

Best wishes,

Herbert

David Jacklin (dj)
01-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Hi, John:

As Herbert suggests, I find the "slow down the tempo" method to be most transparent.

Choose "Graph Over Notes" and the tempo (leftmost) icon, then draw in a tempo curve that suits your fermata.

It usually takes a few tries to find the correct amount of slowdown.

Good Luck

David

Sherry Crann (sherry)
01-26-2009, 01:05 PM
Howdy guys,

As mentioned above, using the Graph Over Notes and editing the Tempo is the way to get the fermata performance. One hint for making graph drawing easier is to use the Zoom button (or View/Zoom command) and zoom in on your score. This helps with the resolution when you're drawing with your mouse.

ttfn,
Sherry

john s. smith (jss)
01-26-2009, 02:47 PM
Hi,
Thanks. yes, the edit tempo it is then.
Sherry - Nice tip to zoom in for drawing the graph. I usually zoom out to see as much of the score as possible - and it is difficult to draw a proper curve then.
regards
-John