PDA

View Full Version : Shifting large areas of score right leaving gap or left into gap

john s. smith (jss)
03-09-2009, 02:04 PM
Hi Again!
Just to request your assistance again Sherry...

I have a substantial piece under way (well, for me it is - a few hundred bars). I've bumped into a problem that I had many time over the years. What I need to do is shift *all* the music (notes annotation, the lot), from a given point in the score, over to the right by just half a measure!

e.g. Shift all the music from bar 51.5 to the right (leaving the space vacated, empty)

To be general, The opposite is just as useful. ie To shift the music into an existing gap.

The point of both these moves (musically), is to attempt to line the true beat of the music at the start of bars.

I did (optimistically) try SHIFT - Arrow Key and got a warning about as-notated as perf grace notes cannot be edited directly.

So sounds simple but I always seem to screw it up and end up with horrendous cut n pastes etc. This point was one that I'd written into my treaties (joke) on measure (bar) positioning problems in real compositions. I kind of regard it as the X dimension problem that the Parts presents in the Y (well maybe not *that* difficult).

As usual I am prepared to be told it's a piece of cake to do :-) well I hope it is.

Thank you for any help with this
regards
-John

Sherry Crann (sherry)
03-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Howdy John,

Actually the maneuver that you tried - Selecting the regions and using the "Shift + arrow key" - should do it. However, if you have different notational figures that would start crossing barlines and such, Composer might not like doing it that way. This sounds like the problem you've run into. (If you could please attach the file above, or send it to me directly at support@notation.com.)

How about rather than shoving all those notes around, we just insert a half measure? You can do that, and then shift barlines if you need to.

Or perhaps shifting barlines is all you really need to do? To shift the barlines, select Staff Symbols/Barlines, and then the button with the two black right-pointing arrows on it. You'll get a red dangly-thing on your cursor to position in the score where you want the first barline to go. When you click your mouse, a barline will be place where you click, and all the score that follows after that will be right-adjusted according to the time signature.

Do let me know if any of the above helps http://www.notation.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif

ttfn,
Sherry