PDA

View Full Version : canbt get notes to snap to as notated after realtime record

john s. smith (jss)
04-26-2009, 12:44 AM
Hi,
I've just recorded a few bars in real-time and would like to snap the as performed notes to as notated. But nothing I can do will change the position or duration of the piano roll markers! What am I doing wrong here? I also clicked the "unlock" icon but still no good.
thanks for help with this
-John
<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.notation.com/discus/icons/attachment_icon.gifreal-time recorded then snap to notation problem
insert1.not (http://www.notation.com/discus/messages/32459/insert1-37258.not) (22.0 k)</td></tr></table></center>

Sherry Crann (sherry)
04-28-2009, 01:26 AM
Howdy John,

I had a nice little reply here the other day, and apparently didn't hold my mouth right to complete it. My apologies for not catching that mis-step.

You need to make sure the (1) Piano roll is set to edit the performance either by (2) clicking the "Edit both" or "Edit as performed" button. Then (3) select the note(s) you want to edit (I've selected all notes in both staves here using Shift + Staff Select buttons)and (4) click on the "Snap to as notated" button.

http://www.notation.com/discus/messages/32459/37269.png

If that doesn't suit the problem, do let me know!

ttfn,
Sherry

john s. smith (jss)
04-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Hi Sherry,
Thanks for reply - but still doesn't seem to work.
When I click 4 (as in your pic) the rectangles of the piano roll just stay where they are. In fact I tried clicking all the buttons on the piano roll view and non of them move either the notes or the rectangle.
The whole thing seems locked. I also clicked the unlock button but still nothing.
I notice the lock/unlock icon that neither of them stay on. I mean they are highlighted when the mouse cursor moves over them but clicking either does *not* cause either of them to stay "illuminated".

This is really odd because I use exactly these features when I enter music with the mouse and it works fine. The only difference in the sample I attached was that I recorded the music in real time from a keyboard.
Just can't see what I might have missed here.
Perhaps you have some other thoughts about it? Does performance snap to notated on your system with the sample .not perhaps?
regards,
-John

Sherry Crann (sherry)
04-28-2009, 01:15 PM
Hi John,

I think I figured out the problem. The other day, when I opened your file, I had been working on other files prior to that. When I selected the staves, the notes automatically "selected" as I would have expected them to. This morning, when I first opened your file above, it was the first file I opened. When I selected the staves, the notes did not automatically "select" (ie. turn blue) - the notes remained black, and the rectangles a nice bright yellow. The notes have to be blue (selected) in order for the piano roll "snap" to work (you'll notice that they're blue in the above picture).

If you select a staff (or staves) and the notes don't automatically turn blue (ie selected), you can use "Region/Convert region to selection of notes" in the menu bar. This will select the notes and then you can go on with step 4, using either the "snap attack" or "snap attack and duration" buttons, depending on what exactly you want to do.

I'll write up that little anomaly.

ttfn,
Sherry

john s. smith (jss)
04-28-2009, 02:33 PM
Hi Sherry,
Excellent. Well spotted :-) That was, as you say, the cause.
Works fine now. Mind you, shows how good a job NC did of interpreting the RT record.
Cheers,
-John