PDA

View Full Version : New Song Ensemble Screen

Iosonoilprologo
03-12-2012, 04:59 PM
I noticed that on this screen there is not an option for Big Dance Band (like Tommy Dorsey or Glen Miller type of band).Is this something that may be included in the future?:)

Sherry C
03-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Hi,

Actually there is already a "Big Band" template there (the first first one on the list).

If you want to create a new template, or modify an existing one, you can create your own templates that will show up when you use File/New, or Create New.

(The following is copy/pasted from Help/Users Guide, using the Index to look up "template", and selecting the "creating your own" entry.)

To create a song template:
1. Create a new song file.
-- OR --
Open a song file that already has the intended list of instruments. Remove all of the notes and musical annotations in it.
2. Add, modify and delete instrument staves to create the list of instruments you intend for the template.
See, Adding New Staves, Changing the Instrument Sound of a Staff, and Deleting Staves.
3. Add or modify any page text that you want to appear in the score created from the template. For example, add your own name to the title page. See Adding and Editing Page Text and Specifying Page Text in Templates.
Note that if you remove all page text from a song template, Composer automatically adds certain page text to any new score created from the template. On the first page, Composer will add a song title. On subsequent pages, Composer will add a page header, consisting of the song title and page number.
4. Save the song as a Notation (.not) file in the C:\Program Files\Notation\Templates directory. You can have Musician or Composer do this for you by using the "Save as Template" command in the File menu.

To edit an existing song template:
1. Use the Open command in the File menu, and choose a template (.not) file in the C:\Program Files\Notation\Templates directory.

2. Edit the template file just as though you were editing a normal song file. The details of the template file that will be copied to a newly created song file are: the list of staves; the instrument sound assignments (MIDI device, bank, and patch) for each staff; and page text.
3. Save the template (.not) file using the "Save as Template" command in the File menu.

We do have a section here on the forum for sharing additional templates (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=3820). Just open one, then use "File/Save as template" to save it as a template on your machine. Easy :)

Enjoy :)
Sherry

Iosonoilprologo
03-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Sherry, I went back ( a little embarrased) to doublecheck. My version list: Blank,(unknown instrument) Brass Quartet, Brass Quintet, Brass Trio, Guitar, Hand bells, etc. I did not see anything listed as Dance Band.:o

Sherry C
03-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Hi,

The template name is "Big band", rather than "Dance band." If you don't see it, then you may not have the "latest and greatest" set of Templates, but that is easily remedied :)

Click here for a zip file of all the templates, (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=284&d=1272578141) save it to your hard drive or desktop, and unzip it in the folder

c:\Program files\Notation\Templates
(or c:\Program files(x86)\Notation\Templates for 64 bit machines)

Hope this helps :)
Sherry

Iosonoilprologo
03-13-2012, 04:02 AM
Sherry, it sure did ! Got them all! Thanks!!!:);)

Sherry C
03-13-2012, 10:05 AM
Hi,

Excellent! Now we'll be waiting with bated breath for big band tunes ;)

(I'm especially partial to them now that I've started hanging out with our local big band and trying to get up to speed on the repertoire.)

ttfn,
Sherry