PDA

View Full Version : Hidden notes

Helen Nelligan
01-21-2012, 03:26 PM
I find that when I add notes to the staves, the note sounds but doesn't always appear. If I switch from window view to page view, it appears and then remains. Similarly if I'm using page view and the same thing happens, the notes appear when I switch to window view. I also have a problem with what my tutor calls hanging notes. For example, I may have a whole note and some quarter notes in a bar but Notation converts it to to 4 quarter notes tied together which is not as neat as the hanging note. I've tried many options but can't seem to find my way around this problem. I love Notation and am eager to solve these glitches!

Sherry C
01-22-2012, 04:49 AM
Howdy,

I find that when I add notes to the staves, the note sounds but doesn't always appear. If I switch from window view to page view, it appears and then remains. Similarly if I'm using page view and the same thing happens, the notes appear when I switch to window view.
What you may be experiencing is the note is actually added, but because of spacing considerations, the added note has changed the spacing so that it is no longer in the displayed area. If you find that you've added a note which "disappears", please try scrolling forward (or backward) while still in the same view to see if the note really is there or not. Composer tries to dynamically show you what the score is going to look like with each edit, though in this case it seems to be a little overenthusiastic ;)

I also have a problem with what my tutor calls hanging notes. For example, I may have a whole note and some quarter notes in a bar but Notation converts it to to 4 quarter notes tied together which is not as neat as the hanging note. I've tried many options but can't seem to find my way around this problem. I love Notation and am eager to solve these glitches!
Actually those are notes that are in different voices. To get the "hanging" effect, (1) click the whole note (2) if it's above the other notes, then click the "Upper voice" button (toward the far right of the Notes tab tool bar) or if it's below the other notes, click the " Lower voice" button. The other notes will automatically be "voiced" as the other, and you should see the notation you want.

You may like to take a look at some of the videos in the Tutorial Video section. (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2858) The two situations above, and many others, are addressed in those.

ttfn,
Sherry

Helen Nelligan
01-22-2012, 11:49 AM
Hi, Sherry Many thanks for your quick reply. I'll give that a go. I'm new to music so when I go to the help pages, I don't really know what I'm looking for. I'll give the videos a go too. Regards, Helen