PDA

View Full Version : Roll Notation not correct?

voessli
11-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Hello all

i have tried to analyse a piano song using Roll Notation (the "normal" notation ist not exact) but the Roll Notation does not display the correct length of a note, that is, the length is to short.
Is there any way to display the correct lenght of each single note?

Thanks!

Sherry C
11-18-2011, 01:50 PM
Hi,

If you have a particular file that you're working with, it would be helpful for analyzing any problems. The Piano Roll view shows the attack location and duration of the notes similar to how they would appear in a sequencer application, but overlayed on the sheet music. If you're working with a "found" file, then it may well be that (1) the actual performance of the note is as it's displayed and (2) that the transcription of the notation of that performance is within the Transcription Settings for your installation.

Again, having a file and the particular note(s) would be helpful.

ttfn,
Sherry

voessli
11-18-2011, 05:07 PM
I think I have found the problem: there are not displayed any pedal symbols ...

this is the score:
http://recording.de/uploads/newbb/ea2968aaa8ca0434c4ebcf059c8caff0.mid

dj
11-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Hi, Voessli:

The pedal controller won't affect the note length as displayed. It simply sustains the note past the end of its value. Note length is determined by how long the key is held down.

So, the piano roll notation is probably displaying correctly based on actual "key down" time, but the pedal is holding the sustain on, causing the notes to sound longer than they actually are.

Good luck.

David

Sherry C
11-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Hi,

What David says is true. I just took a look at this file, and there are pedal events in the Piano staves. If you want to see where the pedal events are as score annotations (eg. the "ped." or bracket pedal markings), you can do the following:

Open the file.
Click on View/Show Sustain Pedal
Click the Staff Select button for the Right Hand, hold the "Shift" key on your keyboard and then click the Staff Select button for the Left Hand. This will select both piano staves.
Click the Expressions tab.
Click the "Ped." tool, and then the last button to the right in the Pedal tool bar (Convert pedal performance to pedal mark.)

Now you'll have pedal markings throughout the score where the pedal is held in this file. The default is the bracket style, but you can select the "ped *" style if you wish.

ttfn,
Sherry

p.s. If you're planning to copy/paste any regions from the piano to other staves, be sure you clear out the pedal performance from those other staves after the copy procedure, or you'll get a massive buildup of sound, which can be a bit overwhelming :)