PDA

View Full Version : Copying the piano RH only

Iosonoilprologo
10-31-2011, 04:09 PM
Hi! I'm trying to develop my piano fantasy Winter Winds into a fantasy for piano & flute. For that it would help me a great deal if I could copy the right hand only into a new-generated flute staff and from there edit the composition into the segments where I want a flute solo accompanied by the left hand, etc. When I go to select region the program shades both staffs (RH &LH). If I go to clone staff, its not responding into selecting only the right hand! I would appreciate some suggestions. Thanks!;)

Sherry C
10-31-2011, 06:17 PM
Hi,

Hi! I'm trying to develop my piano fantasy Winter Winds into a fantasy for piano & flute.
Very cool!

For that it would help me a great deal if I could copy the right hand only into a new-generated flute staff and from there edit the composition into the segments where I want a flute solo accompanied by the left hand, etc. When I go to select region the program shades both staffs (RH &LH). If I go to clone staff, its not responding into selecting only the right hand! I would appreciate some suggestions. Thanks!;)

The only file that I have to look at for this is the .mid file that you posted in the "Share your music" section, so I may not have the whole story. However, from what I see in that .mid file, there are a few issues that you'll need to deal with:

1. There are far more staves in the .mid file than are actually used for notes. I'd suggest using Staff/Setup, and delete the staves that you don't need. That will just help in keeping things cleaner, tighter, and less data for the program to have to go through and perhaps trip and make an error over ;) (That's actually "good file-keeping" advice for any program.)

2. When I open the .mid file, the Piano staff needs to be split into RH and LH staves. Again, I'm not sure what file you're working with, but this is a necessary first step.

3. When using Staff/Clone, you need to click on the Staff name that you want to clone (it will turn blue background and light letters), and then click Ok. When I do this with the .mid file in Share Your Music, I don't have any problem cloning the RH Piano staff (split via point 2 above on opening the file.)

4. To select a single staff quickly, in Window View you can just click on that Staff's "Select" button - the entire staff will highlight light blue. Using Staff/Clone staff at that point will immediately clone just that selected staff.

If you've tried the suggestions above already, but are using a different file than the .mid that is posted in the Share Your Music section, please either post a copy of the file you're currently using, or send it to me at support@notation.com and I'll take a look at it.

ttfn,
Sherry

Iosonoilprologo
10-31-2011, 09:52 PM
Hi Sherry! Following your advice, I used the midi version of the fantasy and I was succesful in copying the right hand to the recently-created flute staff. From there of course I will do all the required editings to adapt the melody, balance the parts, etc. Thank you once again. By the way, if ever the 3.0 version comes out let me know!:D