PDA

View Full Version : Inserting a new empty measure in orchestral score

jss
08-25-2011, 10:01 PM
Hi,
What would be the easiest way to insert just one empty measure in a multi-staff score. What the situation is is that I omitted a single bar in one of the parts (i.e just one of the instruments) and need insert a new empty measure so that all the rest of that part get moved along to the right.

Afaik NC inserts that new empty measure in ALL the parts (ie vertically) but in this case I just need the one staff to be shifted rightwards.

I tried selecting a region by marking a bar and then tried insert empty measure but I still got that empty bar in ALL staffs.
thank you

Sherry C
08-25-2011, 10:19 PM
Howdy,

You are correct that adding a new measure will insert it into all staves.

I'd suggest the following:

1. Use Staff/ Setup to move the staff that is missing the measure to the bottom or top of the lot. This is to get it "out of the way" for some "block" selecting later.

2. Insert the new measure.

3. Use Region/Select to select the "block" of measures starting with the measure just after the new "gap", and going to the end of the score, and leaving out the staff that was initially missing the measure.

4. Edit/Copy.

5. Now Use Region/Select again, and you should be able to change just the beginning measure number to include the newly inserted measure.

6. Use Edit/Paste to paste those measures in - this effects a sort of "shift," although you'll have a duplicate last measure now of all those staves, which you can either clear (Region select, then press Ctl+D) or totally remove (Measure/Delete).

7. Staff/Setup and move that staff back where you want it.

Hope this helps!
Sherry

Sherry C
08-25-2011, 10:21 PM
oh duh!

I should never, ever, answer a question before thinking it through, and especially not while also listening to a recitation from one of my kids.

You can do the same type of Select/Copy/Paste maneuvering to the single staff, and just copy it all over one measure to the right after adding a single measure to the end of the song as well.

Yeesh.... time to go have a cup of tea or something for me!

ttfn,
Sherry