PDA

View Full Version : Volume

tony mads usa
05-03-2011, 08:13 PM
I am getting hardly any volume from Notation. Any one know what the problem might be?
thnx,
t.:cool:

Sherry C
05-03-2011, 09:04 PM
Hi,

There are a few places in the signal chain where the volume can be affected.

1. The volume slider on Notation Musician/Composer's toolbar.
2. Your soundcard's MIDI volume setting.
3. Your computer's Sound/Volume control
4. If you use any kind of sound library, the volume control on that - which can also contain an individual instrument control as well as a master volume.
5. If you've checked all the above items and are still having problems with the volume, then it may be that a file you have has a low volume for all the instruments (a rare but previously seen condition). You can use the Staff Setup to check and edit the numeric volume levels for all staves. If the setting says "var", then you can either set a numeric value between 1 and 127, or use Composer's Graph Over Notes to increase the overall volume of any of the volume graphs in the file.

ttfn,
Sherry

tony mads usa
05-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Sherry ... thnx agn ...
I have checked the above to no avail ...
I am using 'Digital Ear' to create the midi file, which as I mentioned in the other post, contains only the melody line ... Perhaps the input into the PC just isn't loud enough ...
thnx,

mgj32
05-04-2011, 05:12 AM
Hi,
For what it's worth, I have many times found a no-sound problem. I check all the things Sherry mentioned and at some point remember that the computer has recently been off and the master plug pulled because of storms, or having to do something inside the case, etc. I don't know why I keep forgetting that my speakers have their own plug and on/off button.

best,
mgj

tony mads usa
05-04-2011, 09:32 PM
checked everything ... still low volume ... :confused:

Sherry C
05-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Hi,

Let's try the converse, and see if anyone has ideas about where the problem might be occurring :)

The answers to the following questions may prove helpful:

1. What operating system are you using? (eg. XP, Vista, Win 7, etc.)

2. What kind of computer do you have? (I've found that my kids' ASUS netbooks have boatloads of special shortcuts that can be frustrating til you get them all figured out and memorized. One son was getting no sound til he stumbled on a shortcut that muted his soundcard.)

3. What sound card to you have?

4. What MIDI playback device are you using when you use Notation Musician or Notation Composer? (eg. GS Wavetable, Garritan Personal Orchestra, ....? )

5. If you're using the GS Wavetable in (4), do you have other audio applications on at the same time that use ASIO? The GS Wavetable is known to interfere with ASIO, and it may happen conversely as well.

ttfn,
Sherry

tony mads usa
05-04-2011, 10:24 PM
In sequence:
1. XP
2. DELL PC
3. Creative Sound Blaster Audigy
4. Default Midi Device player is SB Audigy Synth A (DF00)

I do not have any problem with other midi players - Windows Media Player, iTUNES, etc.

thnx,

Sherry C
05-05-2011, 12:50 AM
Hi,

Given your OS and setup, my first suggestion would be to check the MIDI sound level. In XP, you can go to "Sounds" and then the "Volume" settings, and there's a separate level for MIDI.

When Notation opens up your MIDI device, it sets the default volume at 50%. There's a long story behind that, but suffice it to say it's at 50%, and you may want it higher :)

Some other MIDI players have their own internal MIDI synth, and so volume levels may vary when you play the same file on different players.

ttfn,
Sherry

tony mads usa
05-05-2011, 01:28 AM
Sherry .... thnx ... not sure exactly how, but I was able to get more volume ... :)
thnx agn,