PDA

View Full Version : Changing from one staff to another

tony mads usa
05-03-2011, 07:32 PM
I have just begun using Notation ... the first song I have entered displays in bass clef ... is there a way to transpose from bass clef to treble clef in Notation?
thank you'
t. :cool:

Sherry C
05-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Hi Tony,

There are a couple of different options you can do.

If you actually want the sound you hear (actual pitches) to be higher, you can use Staff/Transpose Pitches.

If it's something like guitar, which sounds lower than it's notated, you can use Staff/Transpose Instrument key.

There is a tutorial video here (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=3621) which explains the difference, and shows you how to do both types.

ttfn,
Sherry

tony mads usa
05-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Thanks Sherry ... Let me explain what I am doing. I have created a music file that has only the melody line of a song. That has been processed with Notation and I have produced a 'lead sheet'. However, the lead sheet written by notation shows in bass clef.
What I have to do is transcribe the notes seen on the Notation software onto hard copy in treble clef for copyright purposes. Copying from Notation would be a lot easier if it were in treble clef.
It is really not an issue how the Notation file 'sounds'.
thnx,
t.:cool:

dj
05-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Hi, Tony:

Which Notation Software product are you using?

Notation Player doesn't allow you to change the clef. It's a free program designed to let people load up and playback existing .not and .mid files.

For Notation Musician or Notation Composer, simply double click on the clef sign in the staff you wish to change and a box will pop up letting you select whichever clef sign you want.

The notes should adjust themselves to the new clef.

Good luck.

David

tony mads usa
05-04-2011, 09:34 PM
David ... thank you ... We are using Composer and your tip worked ... Is there a way to make the treble clef the default?
thnx agn,
t.:cool:

dj
05-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Tony:

There is no "default" setting for clef sign. Composer tries to guess as the which clef sign is appropriate. If your musical line drops below "middle" A consistently, then the bass clef tends to be chosen.

Mark Walsen created Notation Software products with ease of use in mind and tried to put as many "intelligent" features in as he could. For the most part, it works beautifully.

David