PDA

View Full Version : Any plans to add "Bracket" (non-arpeggio)

theharper
04-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Hi! I'm a harpist and new user of Composer. For the most part, my needs are met (although cross-staff beams would be my #1 request...with n-tuplets a very close 2nd). However, is there any way to add the bracket ( [ ) to the ornament palette? The arpeggio ornament is great. It would be nice to have (in harpist's terms) its opposite.

Thanks and I apologize in advance if this has been addressed and I couldn't find it.

Calvin

Sherry C
04-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Hi Calvin,

Hi! I'm a harpist and new user of Composer. For the most part, my needs are met (although cross-staff beams would be my #1 request...with n-tuplets a very close 2nd). However, is there any way to add the bracket ( [ ) to the ornament palette? The arpeggio ornament is great. It would be nice to have (in harpist's terms) its opposite.

I'm glad that you're finding Composer helpful in your music!

It's my understanding that one bracket type in harp music looks like this:

For this type of bracket annotation, you can "cheat" for the score, and use a piano Pedal marking (Expression/Pedal marks, and use the first type of pedal mark). It the bracket "hooks" need to point the other way, I'm afraid I don't have so nice a workaround at present, but I could put it on the "wish list" :)

If you want to use a text bracket eg. [ and ], you can use Free Text (Text, Free text) and place those in the score where ever you wish.

If I'm totally missing the boat here, please do enlighten me - it's always good to learn more :)

ttfn,
Sherry

theharper
04-04-2011, 06:07 PM
You are correct on both counts! I'm embarrassed because the free text solution had occurred to me and then I promptly forgot it...although to have it as an actual ornament like the appeggio mark would be way cool ;). As for the brackets under the notes, you are correct. Unfortunately, those brackets would need the capability to 1) sometimes be over or under the notes (or beam) and 2) rise and fall with the beam shape. I didn't ask for that because I figured the bracket ornament would be much easier to accomplish (the REQs would be almost identical to the arpeggio mark). I'm a sly one. Thanks for the quick response!!