PDA

View Full Version : Re-setting overall tempo in a work in progress

Iosonoilprologo
02-21-2011, 03:42 PM
I have been working on a STAB arrangement. I already laid the piano track and was currently working the harmony of the different voices. In order to listen to the voices alone I muted the piano and slow down the tempo to listen to the harmony of the voices. When I went back to the beggining, and set the tempo to the normal speed (120) the piano start at the initial tempo, but when the voices come in, they switch to the slow tempo that I was using just for reviewing purpose. I tried resetting the tempo but no luck!:confused:

Sherry C
02-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Hi,

It sounds like you used the Tempo dialog box to set the tempo, rather than just using the up/down arrow buttons on the toolbar. If that is what happened, you can just reset the tempo for the entire song by (1) clicking the "Rewind" button to set the playback cursor to the beginning of the song and (2) double-click the tempo to bring the Tempo dialog back up and set the tempo you want for the song, then (3) click "Ok" to save the change.

FWIW, to temporarily change the playback tempo (but not the saved tempo), you can just use the up/down arrow buttons next to the Tempo in the toolbar. This will set the playback tempo at some percentage of the tempo that is saved for that song file, but it will not permanently affect the saved tempo.

ttfn,
Sherry

Iosonoilprologo
02-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Hi, I did what you suggested but it did not work. After I reset it following your instructions, the dialogue box when it opens still shows in the "linear tempo accel or decel" Begin 120 per minute End 60 per minute. I even changed these number for everything to read 120, saved it with the new values but when I played it back it went to the same thing. Any suggestions?:o

Sherry C
02-21-2011, 07:50 PM
Hi,

Please either post the song here, or send me a copy at support@notation.com and I'll take a look at the song to see if there is something odd going on.

Do I understand correctly that you want to set a tempo of quarter note = 120 for the entire song?

We'll get it figured out :)
Sherry

Iosonoilprologo
02-21-2011, 10:00 PM
Okay, here it is!605:)

Sherry C
02-21-2011, 10:30 PM
Hi,

Thanks for including the file.

Because the file already contained a tempo change to 60, only the region that was initially 120 was entered in the Tempo "Region" following my first instructions. I forgot about that safeguard for an existing tempo change :)

Fortunately, when using the Tempo dialog, you can either (1) select the Region beforehand or (2) enter the last (or some huge) measure number for the ending of the region after the dialog is open, and Composer correctly assigns the new tempo to the entire song.

Alternatively, you can use the Graph Over Notes tab, click on the Tempo button there, and just choose the "Enter numeric" button on the palette tool bar (the "96" button). The full song was correctly selected there in that region, so all you have to do is click "Ok" to save the change to the entire song.

Enjoy :)
Sherry