PDA

View Full Version : Volumes reset on MIDI Exports

Tim Mariott
02-15-2011, 04:19 PM
I regularly produce "emphasised" files for our SATB choir, providing them with both Notation and MIDI file formats. I have previously had no problems: I set suitable volumes for each emphasised part, save it as a Notation file and then Export as MIDI.
However for our next concert I have two files where on exporting to MIDI the volumes are reset to 96 for all parts and I cannot find any way of overcoming this. These are files which started life as MIDI downloads from another choir's website, but I have worked with such files before from the same website and not had any problems.
I should emphasise that files I have created from scratch for this concert still work as required - and the Notation versions of the naughty files do save the emphasised volumes correctly.
Can you suggest any reason why a particular file should reset its volumes when exporting to MIDI? I am attaching the files.
Thanks
Tim

Sherry C
02-15-2011, 04:58 PM
Hi Tim,

That's weird, because I didn't have any problem changing the volume of a particular staff, exporting the .mid, and then re-opening the .mid (making sure it wasn't the original .not) to see the correctly changed volume levels.

Here's how I did it - maybe there's something I'm doing differently which doesn't show the problem.

1. Open the .not file you posted.

2. Use Staff/Setup to bring up the big dialog of staves.

3. Set the volume of the first staff to 127.

4. Click Ok to save the change.

5. Use File/Export as MIDI, and append something to the name
so I won't confuse it with the original file.

6. Close the original file, and open the exported .mid file.

7. Use Staff/Setup to view the volume settings for the staves, and the edited one has saved correctly, as well as the others keeping their previous volume settings (ie, they didn't all change to 96).

What should I do differently to make the problem show up?

Thanks!
Sherry

Tim Mariott
02-15-2011, 06:09 PM
Sherry

Superspeed response as always. I have worked through your process and as you say that works fine.

However, my standard procedure has one extra step: when I do Export to MIDI, I always set on the flag for "write out repeats" as I do sometimes use repeats to match the printed score and if I don't set this flag my MIDI file users are short-changed.

So, I have just retested and with "write repeats" unchecked it works correctly and does not reset the volumes - but with "write repeats" checked it does reset the volumes.

This means (I think) that I can devise a workaround by taking out the repeats for any naughty files: a bit more time but not impossible. But it is a bit weird, isn't it!

Best wishes
Tim

Sherry C
02-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Hi Tim,

You just figured out the condition for me, so I can write up the bug report :)

Thanks!
Sherry