PDA

View Full Version : Composer and Players

EddieCG
02-03-2011, 03:11 AM
Having just spent some time in Composer putting slurs into my imported midi file, hiding the piano parts (though they can still be heard) and changing the font style, size and weight, to produce an output midi file to my satisfaction, I was surprised when I opened the file in Notation's player, and another player, to find all the entered slurs were missing (though the original slurs were OK), the piano parts were showing, and the font had reverted to Times New Roman size 10, 'un'bolded! When I reimported the file into Composer, it was all formatted as required. Why does the work I have carried out in Composer not carry through to playing on a player? :confused:

Sherry C
02-03-2011, 04:41 AM
Hi Eddie,

All the changes that you've mentioned - slurs, font, etc - will only be held in the .not filetype. The .mid (MIDI) filetype does not keep that type of printout/look information - it only keeps the actual performance information (eg. note pitches, durations, instruments, etc.)

Please note that if you open a .mid file in any of our products and then save that file (rather than use File/Export), there will then be (1) the original .mid file (unedited) and (2) the edited .not version (which is the default filetype that our products save).

My guess is that you did all your editing, saved the .not file, but opened the .mid in Notation Player. Please take a look for the .not version of the file and open that in Notation Player - I'll bet all your nice slurs and font changes will still be there :) (side note: slurs are different from ties; ties will show up automatically, but slurs are an added "annotation" only present in the .not version of a file.)

ttfn,
Sherry

EddieCG
02-03-2011, 05:09 AM
[sigh] thank you so much - so much to learn! I have taken on the task of producing midi files for my choir's members to rehearse from (they, the files, are loaded on our website). At first it was just the midi files to listen to, then I discovered you could see the score on screen at the same time, and then someone mentioned words and ....... Whoa, what did I volunteer for! Still, it is fun, especially with people such as yourself to guide my hand. I had hoped to be able to use any midi player that was present on our members' computers, rather than restricting them to one player e.g Notation. Will have to think about that. [How do you do a carriage return in this?] Someone was talking about the weather and snow, here in New Zealand it is in the mid-twenties (Centigrade) and we have the air-condiitoning going! :p

dj
02-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Hi, Eddie:

Glad to see you're getting the hang of Composer.

As to the weather in the north of North America lately, as I said to someone in Texas once, I'd rather dig out from under a blizzard than a hurricane. :rolleyes:

Actually, this is my first major snow shovelling this winter, so that's not bad.

Good luck with Composer.

David