PDA

View Full Version : Bass / Kick drum not sounding

pault
01-28-2011, 10:36 AM
Hi. newbie to all this MIDI stuff however getting on quite well so bear with me please.
The problem I am having is that on some downloaded midi files I can see and hear the drum track and the kick drum on the internal PC card (analogue out) but if I connect midi to the Roland JV880 I don't always get the kick drum on some files but the rest of the Hi-hats, snare etc are fine any basic point I should look for?
I have just seen a thread where Sherry has stalked about exploding the drum track to see what's going on haven't tried that yet but will tonight is there any pointers that I should look for?

hanks
Paul.

dj
01-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Hi, pault:

Sometimes the kick drum is recorded on B, sometimes on C. C is the Midi drum channel standard. Some synths and drum machines respond to either, some to one or the other.

Try selecting the bass drum notes in question and moving them to either B or C. That will probably solve the dilemma.

Good luck.

David

Sherry C
01-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Howdy,

For channel numbers, 10 is the MIDI standard drum channel.
Sometimes synths will have multiple banks for different sounds, so you'll need not only the correct channel number, but also the correct bank number for your synth. You can use Staff/Setup to set those values for each staff in the score in both Notation Musician and Notation Composer.

ttfn,
Sherry

pault
01-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the fast response guy's. I will try it all out.
Is there any where in Composer that you can "search and replace"i.e select a complete staff , find "C" and replace with "B" ?

Paul

Sherry C
01-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Howdy Paul,

Thanks for the fast response guy's. I will try it all out.
Is there any where in Composer that you can "search and replace"i.e select a complete staff , find "C" and replace with "B" ?

No, but if you split out the drum staff (Staff/Split drums), you can single out the drum instrument you need and change it to a different drum instrument using its Staff Setup button. Then you can merge all the drum instruments back into a single staff.

ttfn,
Sherry

pault
01-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Fantastic. thanks for the forum and Notation. Sherry, All sorted out now the Roland lives another day, if I could not have sorted this it was on its way to flea bay. Thanks. Paul.