PDA

View Full Version : Adding rests at the end

Pianotehead
01-02-2011, 02:43 AM
Hello, I've been using this program, full version, for a few months and I like it a lot. Wasn't so hard to learn and an appealing user interface.

But one thing bothers me, when I export .not files as MIDI, all rests at the end are wiped out. I like to have a few bars of rest at the end just to recover from my playing! I use another program to run the MIDI files.

Is there a way to do this, at least I couldn't figure it out?

With regards and wishes for a happy new year to fellow users at this forum and the makers of the Notation programs.

Sherry C
01-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Hi,

It sounds like you're using Composer.

Typically an exported .mid file is truncated to the measure with the last note in it (as you've found) to avoid "dead space" at the end of a file that you've been working on.

You can trick Composer, though, into keeping those last empty measures in the exported .mid file. In the last beat of the last measure you want to keep in the file, add a single note, then hold the "L" key on your keyboard (for "loudness") and press the Down arrow key. You'll see in the status bar that the loudness for that note will go down. Hold the down arrow key til the loudness goes to 0, then press the Up arrow key once to give it a loudness of "1". This puts a viable note in the measure so that the measure won't get truncated, but the loudness (velocity) of that note is so low that it won't be heard unless you've got the volume on your speakers turned up really high.

Enjoy :)
Sherry

Pianotehead
01-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Thank you Sherry, sorry I wasn't clear on what program I was using. Yes, I'm using Composer, I decided I wanted very much control over notation files, to be able to edit and insert notes, lower and raise pitches etc., so I went for Composer.

I'm using Synthesia so I might go for your suggestion, but add a normal note, because I always have to press that note for the program to finish the song, because it stops until you press the notes in the song. I'll add a middle C, quarter note, but only after four or five bars of rest.