PDA

View Full Version : NC 2.6 aborts if Exit after loading a Template file

jss
12-10-2010, 10:14 AM
NC 2.6
I load a template file and then exit NC, NC itself crashes (abort back the XP OS). If I load the very same file via the Open menu, it doesn't abort!

If restart NC2.6 and select the file from the history list all is ok – can Exit without problem.

I de-installed and re-installed NC 2.6 but still same problem.

Template files are just .not files in the \template folder aren't they?

It is possible these templates are from 2.x – (it's been a long time since I used them)

Sherry C
12-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Hi,

How are you opening the template file when you get the crash on exit - double-clicking the template in Windows Explore or .... ?

ttfn,
Sherry

jss
12-10-2010, 12:05 PM
hi
Start NC (from desktop icon)
File>New>etc... (select a template)
File>exit
Crash!
regards
-jss

Sherry C
12-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Hi,

First, please be sure that you're using the latest 2.6.3 version. That's what I'm testing in here. If you're not using 2.6.3, then you can get your download link by following the directions at www.notation.com/Redownload.php If that doesn't fix the problem, or if you're already using 2.6.3, then read on :)

I just tried the following steps and did not see the problem. Perhaps I'm missing something that you can point out to me:

1. Double-click my desktop icon to start Composer.
2. Click "Create a new song" on the opening screen.
3. Select a template (I tried Big Band, Blank, Piano, Guitar, and Brass trio during different tests).
4. Click "Next" for that step, as well as the following steps 2-5.
5. After the score shows up in the window, click the upper right "X" button to exit Composer. No crash for me here.

I'm running a Win 7 machine here. If you're still seeing the problem using these exact steps in version 2.6.3, please let me know what OS and version your machine is running.

Thanks!
Sherry

jss
12-10-2010, 01:17 PM
Hi
Am running 2.6 - will upgrade to 2.6.3 after posting this reply. Thanks for link.

I did all exactly as you describe with one exception. Instead of X button to exit I did File>Exit (from the menus). I also just tried the X button and that does not crash.
-jss

Sherry C
12-10-2010, 01:22 PM
Hi,

I just tried the "all steps, then File/Exit" and it didn't crash for me here. Here's hoping the 2.6.3 upgrade fixes the problem for you. There was a different issue with some templates that was fixed in one of the 2.6.x iterations (can't remember which at the moment) that may have also manifested itself as the problem you're seeing (which we didn't know about). Hopefully the fix for the other problem solves the problem you're seeing as well.

Do let me know if it doesn't.

ttfn,
Sherry

jss
12-10-2010, 02:14 PM
hi,
Did the ug to 2.6.3 but the crash is still there if File>Exit.
OS = xp sp3

Tried it with bios DEP on and off but same result.

My concern is more that there may be a problem with template incompatibility between versions - i.e when loading a particular template. I have some large templates with many settings. If there perhaps a way to check the template is ok?

As you have already mentioned, can exit via the X button so must remember to do that as a workaround.
thanks
-jss

Sherry C
12-10-2010, 02:19 PM
Hi,

If you can send me the template file (either here or to support@notation.com) we'll check that first to see if the problem manifests itself here, or if it's something that's specific between the template and XP SP3

Please do use the "X" workaround for now :)

Thanks!
Sherry

jss
12-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Hi,
It does it with all the templates - the distribution ones and my own.
It's as if the handler code for File>Exit is not the same as the X button (which may well be the case I guess).
regards
-jss

jss
12-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Hi again Sherry,
I should have tried a bit further... but just to report that the crash happens as well if I try to Save any work done that was started by selecting a Template (via File>New as described above).

I did this (to see if would correct the problem):-
Copied ...\Templates folder to some other place
Re-installed NC2.6.3 from the link you supplied
Copied the Template folder back to correct place

The problem persists though.
The only way I can use NC now is to open a Template via File>Open as can't use File New at all.

I seem to remember there was something like this happened a long time ago (?).
Appreciate your help.
regard
-jss

Sherry C
12-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Hi,

One real quick thought - check the Channel assignments (Staff/Setup) and see if any in the templates you're trying to use have "Auto" listed. Notation no longer uses an "auto" assignment (it was causing problems on a number of devices, having "cross talk" between instruments) and now only uses "hard" numbers. This is just a guess, but it's easy and worth a shot.

I've asked Mark to take a look at this thread to see if anything strikes him as a quick fix, else I'll write this up for fixing in the next maintenance release.

ttfn,
Sherry

jss
12-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Hi
Think have found the problem.
There seems to be a conflict of some kind between NC and a product called Windowblinds (theme setter for Xp/Visa/V7 etc). If stop Windowblinds then NC works as it should.
regards
-jss
http://www.stardock.com/products/windowblinds/

Sherry C
12-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Hi,

YES - glad you figured it out! We've had another customer a while back (couple of years?) who had a problem with Windowblinds (among other software, too). But the problem was different, so it didn't even cross my mind to ask about it.

Glad you're good to go now :)

Merry Christmas!
Sherry

jss
12-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Hi
Just a thought but could it be worth investigating why NC does this? Maybe there are some benefits in doing so in that it can look even better? It may be non-trivial I guess.
regards and
Happy Christmas
-jss

Sherry C
12-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Hi,

Well, given the low percentage of our users who use Windowblinds (we've only had two folks that we know of), the fact that Windowblinds is known to often conflict with any software that has it's own "skinning" capability (you can change the color scheme of Notation products), and that there are other tweaks/features of Notation products that would benefit a greater number of users, we have pretty much had to put this on the "won't do" list simply because our people-hours are limited (only so many people work here, and there are only so many hours in a day :) ) It's certainly not that we don't care about it - we'd love to be able to take the time to cover any and every situation so that every user has a pristine experience with our software. We just have to prioritize tasks based on many factors.

Merry Christmas (nonetheless ;) )
Sherry

jss
12-12-2010, 03:59 PM
Hi,
Interesting -although it was kind of getting at the point that there *could* possibly be some underlying problem in NC that is causing such a serious error at the graphics api layers - and not to fix it just for Windowblinds users as such. fyi I have just finished trying over 30 (major graphic-intense) applications on this PC with WB and NC is the only one that crashes with it.
I of course understand there are other priorities.
regards,
-jss

Mark W
12-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Hello Josh,

I have tried to reproduce this bug but could not. I was using the debugger so that any unusual problem would be likely by revealed, even without WindowsBlind in the picture. But no problem was revealed.

Josh, there is simply no way I can diagnose this problem without being able to reproduce it. The only way I can reproduce the problem would be to run WindowsBlind at the same time. But it probably not wise to devote development time on a rare set of conditions like these involving WindowsBlind.

Sincerely,
Mark

jss
12-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Hi Mark,
The problem -only- arises when WB is running. I just turn WB off now that I found there is a problem running with NC and it then works fine. I just thought it may be useful to trace in case some lurking thing bites later - that was all I was getting at. I mention it not because I am WB user but see that WB makes intensive use of low-level graphic layers api etc so maybe a useful "testbed" of some kind.

Mentioned in case was useful.
regards
-jss

Mark W
12-13-2010, 12:16 AM
Hello Josh,

Yes, WindowsBlind does serve as a "stress test", to use computer programming lingo. I don't intend to install it on my clean development and testing machines, because sometimes "Windows layer" software can behave sort of like a virus, that is difficult to uninstall. But, I might set up WindowsBlind in a "virtual machine" (a second copy of Windows running within Windows) so that I can just completely destroy the virtual machine after I'm done testing Composer with WindowsBlind.

This is a good insight you have as to how this rare circumstance problem could indeed expose a bug that might unknowing to me reveal itself with symptoms elsewhere-- probably also at the time of exiting Composer.

End of geek talk.

Cheers
-- Mark