PDA

View Full Version : Wide-format Printer

rrayner
12-07-2010, 02:46 PM
I'm considering a new HP Printer -- one that has the capability of printing up to 13" x 19", with the intention of being able to print parts from an arrangement in an "11" x 14" format for easier reading.

Will Notation Composer be able to enlarge the content of a single page so that it will look like a bigger version of the standard 8-1/2" x 11" page? Being able to get more measures on a page would be nice also, but that is not my primary interest. I probably won't purchase this printer if N. C. will just put more measures on a page.

Sherry C
12-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Howdy Ralph,

You can specify (1) the page size and (2) the font size in Composer. The font size will affect how much of your score fits on a page. When you use the Page View, it's essentially a Print Preview, so you'll be able to see what the printout will look like.

I hesitate to mention this, but will because it's been an issue before. HP printers are sometimes a little, um, squirrely. I say this from my personal experience as well as helpdesk requests. If there's another printer that will handle what you want to do in the larger format, I'd give it a good hard look.

ttfn,
Sherry

rrayner
12-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Hi Sherry -- that's a little bit discouraging. I'm wondering -- were the bad reports you've fielded been specifically related to Notation using an HP? I was introduced to the reliability and longevity of HP Printers when I was working at the Pentagon in 1995, and have owned HP All-in-One printers ever since. The only problem I've experienced with mine is that fact that once one of their models become "out-dated", there may or may not be any driver updates.

I have had problems trying to print some of my scores -- ones with a full 16 staves. I get staves crammed together and some overlays. Might this be the kind of problem you're referencing?

Ralph

Sherry C
12-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Howdy Ralph,

The problems were not only with Notation products, though of course that's what precipitated discussions at the helpdesk :) The good news is that in some cases using a "generic" HP driver (available from their website) helps the problems. In my own case, I didn't have issues with HP and Composer, but did with some other graphics programs.

If the staves are cramming together in the printout but not in Page view, then that's definitely a problem that needs to be addressed. Send us a note at support@notation.com with the file and a description of what you're trying to do, along with the type of printer you have.

Make sure that you use Page view to preview anything before printing, because if you're only using Window view to check the score, it's not the same thing :) If you need to fit more staves on a page without crowding, try using Format/Font size and spacing, and set the "Global font" to a smaller size (9 is the default).

ttfn,
Sherry