PDA

View Full Version : Cross-bar tied note not displayed correctly when followed by a rest

Fury Pilot
11-27-2010, 12:49 PM
When reading a MIDI file with a tied note which ends in a note at the start of a bar, and the next 'note' in that bar is a rest, Notation Player plays the tied note correctly but does not show the ending note in the score. Instead it shows a larger rest than there actually is in the MIDI file.

Sherry C
11-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Hi,

There may be a couple of reasons for that. In some styles, the actual down-to-the-tic note is not notated "legalistically" :) You may want to check the transcription options (Setup/Transcription options) and try out different settings (eg. Standard, Swing, Syncopated) and see how the notation pans out. Also, it will depend on what length the "bleed over" note is as to whether it will get transcribed as a tied-into-the-next-measure note or not. In Notation Composer you can set these parameters to your needs. In Notation Player, it's the "default" setting.

ttfn,
Sherry

Sherry C
11-27-2010, 12:59 PM
p.s. If the explanation I just gave doesn't seem to explain the case, please either post the file here and tell us what notes/measures to look at, or send it to support@notation.com with that info.

ttfn,
Sherry

Fury Pilot
11-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Hi,

There may be a couple of reasons for that. In some styles, the actual down-to-the-tic note is not notated "legalistically" :) You may want to check the transcription options (Setup/Transcription options) and try out different settings (eg. Standard, Swing, Syncopated) and see how the notation pans out. Also, it will depend on what length the "bleed over" note is as to whether it will get transcribed as a tied-into-the-next-measure note or not. In Notation Composer you can set these parameters to your needs. In Notation Player, it's the "default" setting.

ttfn,
Sherry

Please can you explain what you mean by 'legalistically'. I'm just looking for a straight interpretation of the MIDI file notes, as they exist. I.e. no changes.

I've now tried all 3 transcription options and none of them are displaying the end note of the tie with the MIDI files I've tried.

I have created a short test MIDI file with examples of the end note of the tie being a quaver, crotchet, and minim (all followed by a rest) and none of them are displayed correctly by Notation Player.

Let me know if you'd like me to send you this test MIDI file.

Sherry C
11-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Hi,

For the file you sent to the help desk there is definitely a bug, and we appreciate the report!

What I meant by notating "legalistically" is notating the exact note durations using lots of dots and tied notes - in other words rigidly, technically correct, but quite difficult for a musician to read. Rather than give you every single note exactly as it's tic duration indicates, Notation's transcription engine tries to give you legible sheet music that can be easily read for performance.

There are a few examples of transcription scenarios where this flexibility is quite useful. Many folks use the software to transcribe performances into sheet music and, as humans, don't always perform (for example) a quarter note the exact same number of tics each time. If the transcription engine were to give you the exact notation for such a file, then the score would look horrendous, with all sorts of dotted and tied notation. That's one example. Another is the difference in Standard notation and Swing notation. For example, a swing rhythm is typically notated as two equal notes (eg. two 8th notes), when actually it's a triplet of unequal note durations (eg. quarter note/8th note triplet). In the Transcription options (Setup/Transcription Options), you can select different types of transcription options, depending on the style of music and what you as a musician want to see in the score that you're preparing.

Does this help?

ttfn,
Sherry

Bavi_H
03-26-2011, 05:40 PM
I noticed the same problem in Notation Player 2.6.3. Here's an example that helps everyone see what's going on.

Sherry C
03-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Hi,

The bug that is shown here is already written up for fixing - thanks!

ttfn,
Sherry

Sherry C
09-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Hi friends,

In response to another query, I am not certain of the timeline for this fix, but it is slated.

ttfn,
Sherry

Sherry C
09-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Hi,

I do apologize for the delay, but with the death of Mark Walsen, who was the president and chief developer, we've been transitioning. We are now moving forward, and are excited about our future direction. Stay tuned :)

ttfn,
Sherry

dj
09-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Good to hear, Sherry!

David

papabeno
04-28-2014, 03:45 PM
This bug is not fixed. When can you send a patch to fix it ?
Thank you. Best regards.

papabeno
04-29-2014, 10:42 AM
That bug which many people told you about has not yet been fixed. I own the 2.6.3 version of Notation Composer. When can you send a patch to fix that problem ? Best regards.

Sherry C
04-29-2014, 02:12 PM
Hi,

This bug is not fixed. When can you send a patch to fix it ?
Thank you. Best regards.

This fix is slated for a "point" release within the newly released version 3 series. I can't promise a date, because developers are notorious for not making such dates actually happen :) (due to a variety of reasons.)

ttfn,
Sherry

papabeno
09-29-2014, 03:32 PM
Is that bug fixed in the version 3 software ?
Best regards
Michel

Sherry C
09-29-2014, 03:44 PM
Hi,

This fix is slated for a "point" release within the newly released version 3 series. I can't promise a date, because developers are notorious for not making such dates actually happen :) (due to a variety of reasons.) still holds. We've been working on some other areas at present, and have not yet gotten this one fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Any notes that are affected by this bug can be viewed and fixed using Composer's Piano Roll (you can see that the note extends past the barline). Just click the note to select it, and press the "D" key (for Duration) and the Right Arrow key (to extend the duration) of the notated note.

ttfn,
Sherry

Reinhold H.
03-10-2015, 10:49 AM
This bug is fixed in Musician / Composer 3.0.2.

Reinhold