PDA

View Full Version : The sound is 1 octave to high

KiK
11-23-2010, 06:48 PM
Hi,
my problem is that the notes sound (or pitch) is 1 octave to high.
For example: C4 sound like C5 etc.
They must remain in the same position on the score while transposing them 12 semitones down. How can I do this?
Kind regards

Sherry C
11-23-2010, 07:29 PM
Hi KiK,

You might first want to check and see if there is an Instrument Transposition on the file (eg. for guitar). To check this, click the Staff menu heading, and look at the bottom of the listing to see if the view is for Instrument Transposed Pitches or Concert Pitch. If it's for the Instruments, try clicking the Concert Pitch button to see if the notation and pitches now agree.

The difference may also be in convention - in some locations middle C is determined as C4, in others it's C5. We chose middle C as C5.

If the above is just so much hot air, then you'll need to make the change manually. To transpose the actual pitches while maintaining the notation as it is will actually require (1) moving the note pitches and then (2) Transposing the Instrument key.

1. Select the staff using the Staff Select button (blue arrow button in the Staff Control buttons)
2. Then use Region/Convert region to a selection of notes.
3. Hold the P key (for "pitch") down and then press the Page Down key on your keyboard (this is the keyboard shortcut - there is a button on the Notes palette that will do this too.) This moves all the note pitches down an octave.
4. Now use Staff/Transpose Instrument Key.
5. Select the staff you want to transpose, and then (a) click the "Below minus" and change it to "Above plus" and (b) click the "O octaves" and select "1 octave."
6. Click Ok to finalize the changes.

ttfn,
Sherry

KiK
11-24-2010, 09:43 AM
WOW...! Thank you so much Sherry, for your answer...
I will try to figure it out and if it works I'll let you know
Kind regards
KiK

KiK
11-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Hi Sherry, it works...
Thank you very much for your aide in getting the right piches on the notes corresponding from the score to the piano.
I began to become despaired. An A 440hz sounded like an A 880 Hz
Such as you've said in your first subparagraph of your answer, I have changed the 'Instrument' pitch into 'Concert' Pitch. Than I have transposed all notes 12 semitones down. At last it works and it was that simple, Jesus...!
I am very happy that this problem has been solved and I am very grateful to you.
Kind regards.
KiK

jbflyer
12-13-2010, 09:20 AM
My associated problem is that as printed the clarinet part was an octave too low. I transposed up by 12 semitones which worked, but the notes have been retained on the bass clef, and are off the stave. I want to change the clef to treble. Can this be done?

Sherry C
12-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Hi,

To change the clef from bass to treble (or otherwise), just (1) double-click the clef symbol and (2) select the clef you want from the scroll list then click "Ok." All set :)

ttfn,
Sherry

jbflyer
12-14-2010, 12:24 PM
Hi,

To change the clef from bass to treble (or otherwise), just (1) double-click the clef symbol and (2) select the clef you want from the scroll list then click "Ok." All set :)

ttfn,
Sherry
Thanks Sherry for the quick reply. I haven't done as you suggest as I realised, after posing the question, that the instrument on my Clavinova 503 that I was using was a sax NOT a clarinet! If I had needed to use your suggestion, would the actual notes have been the same on the treble clef as on the bass clef?. Thanks again

Sherry C
12-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Hi,

If I had needed to use your suggestion, would the actual notes have been the same on the treble clef as on the bass clef?.

The note pitches remain the same. The only difference is that the clef, and therefore which line/space the note shows up changes. Eg. an "E" that is on the second ledger line above the bass clef staff would be on the bottom line of the treble clef staff if you changed a staff with bass clef to treble clef. Make sense?

ttfn,
Sherry

jbflyer
12-14-2010, 01:04 PM
Hi,

The note pitches remain the same. The only difference is that the clef, and therefore which line/space the note shows up changes. Eg. an "E" that is on the second ledger line above the bass clef staff would be on the bottom line of the treble clef staff if you changed a staff with bass clef to treble clef. Make sense?

ttfn,
Sherry
Sherry, it makes absolute sense, thank you. Excuse my beginner's use of expressions - "PITCH" was the word I wanted - I have only just joined the Notation family with a trial membership. I am in my 80th year, and bought a Yamaha Clavinova 503 last week. My piano experience dates from my teenage years in the '40's up to Grade 4 only, so there has to be a long learning curve.

Sherry C
12-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Hi,

Excuse my beginner's use of expressions - "PITCH" was the word I wanted - I have only just joined the Notation family with a trial membership. I am in my 80th year, and bought a Yamaha Clavinova 503 last week. My piano experience dates from my teenage years in the '40's up to Grade 4 only, so there has to be a long learning curve.

No problem at all - there's always a lot of attendant "jargon" in any area of life :) I don't know it all yet, either ;)

That's wonderful that you've gotten yourself a nice Clavinova and are pursuing piano. I hope that you find either Notation Musician or Notation Composer (not sure which you're trying out) to be useful in that endeavor.

Merry Christmas!
Sherry