PDA

View Full Version : trigger modulation

rja4096
10-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Hi, i accidentall discovered a really useful thing, i had muted all the tracks to a midi file except the drums, and was playing the other tracks with usb connected yamaha psr e413. I noticed the keyboard changed instrument types at various points and had modulation sometimes too.

Please can anyone explain what is happening?

I think one of the midi tracks is outputting to midi chanel 1 and this is selecting a different instrument on the keyboard.

My keyboard does not have a modulation wheel, so how can i create a midi track to trigger this mode?

Cheers rick

NotationUser
10-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Midi files may contain data accessing features in your keyboard that may be indeed not being accessible via built in keyboard control elements. Often different models distinguish more by the buttons they present to users than what's really inside...

Sound changes are triggered by so called midi program change commands. With this you choose one of the sounds for the addressed midi channel within the currently selected sound bank.

Usually there is more than one sound bank so there is an additional bank change command. Bank change commands are basically dedicated controller messages - so called CC's - similar to modwheel, sustain pedal and so on where each has it's dedicated CC number. Bank messages use CC #0 and CC #32 and can address up to 128*128 = 16384 sound banks - in theory. You need to refer to your keyboards sound lists which numbers are really selectable sound banks or sounds.

Keyboards documentations often contain midi implementation charts where you can see which midi features are supported.

You can find more details about midi commands at midi manufacturers association. Here is a command table you can refer to: http://www.midi.org/techspecs/midimessages.php

In Notation Composer you can see, create and edit sound changes. Just select the "Sound changes" tab. There is a special symbol in the score for sound changes in window view.

In Notation Composer you can see, create and edit controller data. Just select "Graph over notes" and select "Ctl". There are also some predefined CC's for volume, pan and sustain. Note that pitch bend and tempo is no CC but can be accessed here comfortably too.

Please refer for more details to the (excellent) manual.

Hope this helps!