PDA

View Full Version : Recording/Editing channel pressure (aftertouch)

NotationUser
10-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Is it possible to record / edit channel pressure (aftertouch) ?

It's not a normal CC command but it would be useful to access it like other CC's, tempo or pitch bend with the "graph over notes" features

If it's already there and I missed that out please tell me - otherwise consider adding it.

It's probably worth noting that also few keyboards send polyphonic aftertouch some synthesizers receive PAT not only in the originally intended way but to extend their patch parameters too when there are not enough CC's... However I think PAT support is less important than channel pressure.

Sherry C
10-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Hi,

Yep, aftertouch recording is on the wishlist :)

Just a note that if you have a MIDI device that has assignable CCs, you can record various parameters (or graph them) other than the "typical" ones by using the Graph Over Notes, and the "CTL" button with the "?". You can select the CC number and either record it or graph it.

ttfn,
Sherry

NotationUser
10-18-2010, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the note about midi CC.

I was about to ask how midi channels of CCs is treated in recordings. Do I need to set up the input channel matching the staff output channel or is that ignored?

I also asked my self if I can record multiple staff's CCs at the same time and how controller CCs channels are treated in this case then...

Sherry C
10-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the note about midi CC.

I was about to ask how midi channels of CCs is treated in recordings. Do I need to set up the input channel matching the staff output channel or is that ignored? No, you just need to (1) select the Staff you want to record into and (2) have the CC selected using the CTL with the question mark button.

I also asked my self if I can record multiple staff's CCs at the same time and how controller CCs channels are treated in this case then...

Composer currently does not have multi-channel record capability, though that too is on the wish list :)

ttfn,
Sherry

NotationUser
10-19-2010, 08:41 AM
So just to make sure, the midi channel the hardware is sending the CC does not matter and the recording is done on the midi channel assigned to the selected staff? ...would make sense as this is like channels are treated for notes recording.

Maybe the controller selection could be simplified by just moving the control on the midi device alternatively to the list to choose from.

BTW, I noted that I can only choose controller numbers 1..31 and 64..97. I know that cc0/cc32 are used for bank select and are not useful to be recorded dynamically. I also know that the first 32 cc numbers can be "paired" with the ones offset by 32 to create higher resolution values up to 14bit - so usually not presenting these probably confirm midi file standard. I am not so sure about CCs above 97, are these specified the same? ...or not at all by some midi standard? ...and needless to say that some devices do use CCs differently, so what about these? ...it's just a question, not really a request for anything.

I understand that recording to multiple staffs is another story. Especially it would need some clever dynamic mapping in Notation Software as it's impossible to create controller maps for any channels combination.

Probably adding some more "working" expression symbols is a feature I'd prefer to have first... :D