PDA

View Full Version : Urgent = player bug = urgent

aodor
08-24-2010, 06:55 PM
I just installed Notation Player in a indows 7 computer. After restarting, ALL *.exe programs are associated to Notation Player, so I can't run ANY program, not even Registry Edit to correct the problem. System restore also tries to open in Notation Player. I uninstalled Notation Player, from the control panel, but the association persists. How can I solve this problem????

Alberto Odor, MD

Sherry C
08-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Hi Alberto,

I just responded to your helpdesk query, but will also post that response here as well in case you did not receive it for some reason.

------
Hi Alberto,

Whoa - that's a new one. I'm not sure how that happened, as our installation application only asks (and optionally associates) about .mid, .not and .kar files. Probably the easiest thing to do is to use Windows Programs/Uninstall programs, and then restart your machine. After Windows gets itself straightened out, then reinstall Player, being careful to only use the installation's dialog for associating filetypes.

Best Regards,
Sherry
------------

You mentioned additionally here:

I uninstalled Notation Player, from the control panel, but the association persists. I'm not quite sure how that can happen if a program is not installed. My understanding of filetype associations in Windows is that if a program had filetypes associated with it and is then uninstalled, the filetypes' association gets transferred to the "default", which in this case should be the Windows OS.

Please double-check in Programs/Uninstall programs, and make sure that the Player was fully uninstalled, then restart your machine.

ttfn,
Sherry

aodor
08-24-2010, 07:44 PM
Yes, uninstalled and the association persisted. I could correct the problem by running a DOS window and running restore from it. I had to restore the system to a point three days ago to have the association corrected.

At one point a Windows from Norton Internet security opened and asked me to allow the download and installation of an "extended virus definition" I don't know if that happened as the system froze, but ultimately restoring the system through a DOS windows was the solution. It was scary though!!!!:)

aodor
08-24-2010, 08:09 PM
I wanted to see what happened, so I created a new restore point and then reinstalled Notation Player. This time everything worked fine except that the installation routine did not associate MID and KAR files to the player even after I checked the options to do so. I created the association manually and now everything is working fine.

I now have a great way to listen and see MID and KAR files.

Thanks for another great product. I own a copy of Notation Composer and would not change it even for Sibelius, Finale and other much more expensive programs, as Notation Composer is the easiest to use, does all (or most) things the expensive programs can do, and has a GREAT user manual.

Alberto Odor, MD

Sherry C
08-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Hi,

Wow, that was a weird one. I've never heard of anyone else having such a problem with any of our products installing (and I've installed them on my own machines lots of times). I think your suspicion about the Norton window may be correct - perhaps it disrupted something at a crucial step.

Anyway, I'm glad you were able to get it settled back down!

ttfn,
Sherry