PDA

View Full Version : Rhumba Medley #1 Duet

rrayner
09-15-2015, 02:10 PM
"Rhumba Medley #1 Duet" is a departure from my usual pieces for this forum. For starters, it has two songs in the medley, and if both parts are printed together, the way we usually do, it is a three-page piece, breaking my standard for no more than two printed pages for these duets.

The original medley was arranged by Paul Kelly, a classmate of mine at Berklee, a fellow member of the USAF Band Arranging Staff, and a sideman (trumpet, piano) in several of my working bands in the mid-60s. You can see/hear Paul's original septet arrangement, modified by me for Composer, at:

http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=32598

This duet is a reduction of that septet arrangement. It is a lot of fun to play. I have not included several special musical effects that are in the septet arrangement. The special effects are the glissandi (plural of glissando) in measures 9, 11, and 13, and the drops in measure 65. The arrangement sounds okay without them.

Also, the range of the original arrangement did not fit well with two recorders, so I incorporated a key modulation in measures 39-40 to keep the lead voice out of the stratosphere.

We hope you enjoy this piece.

Ralph Rayner