PDA

View Full Version : Sealed With A Kiss Duet

rrayner
06-02-2015, 01:38 AM
"Sealed With A Kiss" was written in 1960 by Gary Geld and Peter Udell. The genre of this song was referred to as "Bubble Gum Pop" and "Puppy Love Pop" and is one of the two songs for this month that mark June as the beginning of Summer Vacation -- and for some young folks in love, a time of separation. Hopefully the young love will be as bright when Summer ends, as the lyrics of these songs suggest.

"Sealed With A Kiss" has been recorded by a number of pop stars, including Brian Hyland, Gary Lewis and the Playboys, and the Bobby Vinton.

Most of the Pop recordings of this song that I have listened to on You Tube end in a similar fashion, by using what musicologists call the "Sunshine Chord". A number of early classical composers would write pieces in minor keys, and after plodding through the sad sounding piece, they would change the final chord to the major key, adding a breath of brightness and sunshine at the end. In this case, the piece is in D Minor concert, but the final notes present D Major to the ear, even though there are only two notes instead of a three-note chord as would have used in those olden days.

If you would like to see the lyrics, click on the Text tab and type qsl.

We hope you enjoy playing these songs -- we are having fun with them.

Ralph Rayner

Sherry C
06-02-2015, 03:18 PM
Hi Ralph,

Thanks for posting these duets. I wish I had someone local to play them with, so for now I just mute one of the parts on your excellent scores and play along (I play whistle, though, not recorder).

The variety of musical genres that you've posted so far is a lot of fun :)

ttfn,
Sherry

rrayner
06-02-2015, 03:40 PM
Thanks, Sherry. I am very fortunate that Cynthia not only wants to play together, but that she has a fairly broad range of musical likes. As I do not have any other local musical partners, except the saxophonist that I occasionally play the duets with, Cynthia's fondness for playing music is very important to me.

Maybe you could teach one of your kids to play recorder...

Ralph

aulos43
06-10-2015, 04:32 AM
Ralph,

Masterful arrangements.

Thanks

Walt

P.S. And as a child of the 50's and 60's, both songs have a nostalgic pull.