PDA

View Full Version : blank midi tracks

ronaldstone
03-17-2015, 08:09 PM
when opening a midi file, there are numerous midi tracks that are blank and I don't understand why they are there. nothing plays from them but I don't understand why they are there after a midi file has been converted. Something is missing that I don't understand. can anyone explain? are they ok to delete or should they be retained for some hidden info that is in them?

Ronald

dj
03-18-2015, 12:23 PM
Hi, Ronald:

Many midi files have apparently blank tracks that have been left in from the templates that whoever made the file used.

There are two possibilities:

1) they are used to contain additional tempo and controller information for some of the "populated" tracks. Check the midi channel and see if the channel is shared with any other tracks. If so, there "might" be track data in that track.

2) they are just empty.

If there is no data in the track (which you can check by looking at the GraphOverNotes (TM) function) then you can safely delete anything extra.

Hope that helps.

David

ronaldstone
03-18-2015, 05:12 PM
when opening a midi file, there are numerous midi tracks that are blank and I don't understand why they are there. nothing plays from them but I don't understand why they are there after a midi file has been converted. Something is missing that I don't understand. can anyone explain? are they ok to delete or should they be retained for some hidden info that is in them?

Ronald

Your explanation makes sense. Now I can better understand especially if someone is using a template. Thank you very much.

Ronald