PDA

View Full Version : Whole note split into 2 half notes

driep01
07-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Hallo,

I am running notation in a HP laptop with Windows 7.

I am working my way through Guitar book to teach myself the Guitar and a little bit of music.

In a specific peice that I am working through, the sheet music indictes that the first note is a 'G' half note on the 'E' or first string.

On the same measure a pedal tone is to be played on middle 'C' as a whole note.

When I add the half note all is well.

When I add the whole note, Notation automatically split the whole note into two half notes with ties.

I realise that the note duration is the same but it confuses a beginner like me.

Is there a way in Notation that this behaviour can be controlled (set On or off)?

Regards,

Phlip Pretorius

Sherry C
07-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Howdy,

You can click on the whole note and then click the "Lower voice" button on the far right of the Notes and Rests palette. This gives each note it's own "voice" (upper and lower) and they will then behave independently in the score.

ttfn,
Sherry

driep01
07-17-2010, 11:24 AM
Thank for the reply Sherry.

I have tried your suggestion and it work but the following happens.

On the same beat of the whole note on middle 'C', there is a half note on 'G' above the upper line. The moment that I mark the whole note with the 'Lower Voice' the half note gets split into two tied quarter notes.

Any slotion for that?

I am running Verion 2.6.1 of Notation.

Regards,

Phlip

Sherry C
07-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Hi Phlip,

If you prefer the untied version of the notation, you can 1. click on the tie to select it
2. click on the "Collapse ties" button in the detail palette
Enjoy!
Sherry

driep01
07-17-2010, 01:18 PM
Thanks you very much for that tip.:)