PDA

View Full Version : Help Writing Repeats

lavajunkie
12-30-2014, 09:27 PM
Just got done writing a new piece; and would like it shortened from 4 pages to 2 or less. Could someone tell me if I got it right would be great. Hopefully everything uploads! ( I have included 2 Pages and one mp3 of the song in question.)
TKS Guys!

***UPDATE: I have added the original .not files requested. The long one has no repeats; the short one is with repeats. I just want it to look good on paper for printing."** TKS

rrayner
12-31-2014, 03:28 AM
Could you please attach the Composer file? It would be helpful in determining what your intention and requirements are.

Ralph

rrayner
01-03-2015, 08:04 PM
I believe I understand what you are looking for. The attached file, Song01_Short_Revised.not, is a more clear way to represent what I refer to as your "roadmap", the Repeat Instructions. The included images show before and after the song.

The first 24 measures are played and repeated. The second time through this (my name Section A), you fall through to measure 25 (my name Section B) and play through to measure 32 to the D. C. al Coda (if you are not familiar with the Italian terms, this means Da Capo al Coda which translates to go to the "head" (Capo) of the piece (Section A). So, after measure 32 is played, the piece resumes at measure 1 and plays through measure 24, and then jumps to the Coda at measure 33.

See the two imbedded images below: 1) your song with the "roadmap" showing; and 2) the revised version with the "roadmap" showing. You issue the "qri" command in Composer to see your "roadmap".

I hope this helps. I also hope it doesn't sound like I am talking down to you by being so detailed. I tried to make the instructions free of ambiguity.

Ralph Rayner

lavajunkie
01-03-2015, 09:22 PM
Thank you so much! I printed out your .not file so I could see it better. Your pictures didn't come up right so I couldn't see those. Also, I don't think you were talking down to me at all. The way I see it any help is appreciated help. I don't read sheet music very well to begin with as I have had no formal piano training. I never kept up with my lessons as a kid cause I hated them. I love playing now btw and wish I would have kept them up. As for your revision I printed out, I was totally lost; but as long as the repeats are correct; I don't care. I'm sorry I had to look up what D.C. al coda was again just to make sure I was reading it right. Your "3x to $" confused me the most; but after playing the recording several times, and following along with the sheet music; I finally understood what you meant. Thank God for Notation Composer and this forum or else I'd be screwed some times. Repeats are the worst for me to figure out. I have another piece that is 7 pages long I may upload here sooner or later for condensing... I don't know. And again... Thank you!

rrayner
01-03-2015, 09:58 PM
I had troubles with my initial posting of the images. Perhaps you saw my response before I resolved the image problem. Take a look again. They look good to me, although they are pretty small. You should be able to use Ctrl+ in your browser to zoom in some. I think it would be helpful to you to see the before and after of the "roadmap".

Ralph Rayner

lavajunkie
01-03-2015, 10:45 PM
I don't need them now. I played the .not file after my first reply and realized it played just fine. I always thought it couldn't read and play d.c.'s; just repeat marks. Anyway thanks again. Oh btw, I did see the screen shots later on and I saw what you did better.