PDA

View Full Version : "Access denied"

jpbaker67
06-18-2010, 08:54 PM
I had a MIDI chart on my old version of MidiNotate, which I transferred into the folder of my updated Notation program. When I tried to access the files, I got the message saying something to the effect of, "Access to File [name of file].not is denied. May be protected or in use." As far as I can tell, the file is not in use at the time I get the message, and I have never taken legal steps to protect them. Another thing is that the icon for the file, in the folder of the program, is of a fainter (blue) font than the others. Any ideas of how I can access these files?

herbert
06-19-2010, 08:44 AM
Hi jpbaker67,

You said:

“Access to File [name of file].not is denied”

You also said:

”I get the message, and I have never taken legal steps to protect them”

Lawyers are very expensive. Fortunately the error message is not a legal statement.

To prevent loss of data of your computer files, certain files are protected, not by law, but by the computer’s operating system. Your .not file could be corrupted or its read/write attributes not set correctly. What is the operating system installed on your computer?

Best wishes

Herbert

jpbaker67
06-24-2010, 01:56 AM
My operating system is Windows XP. I hope I can recover these files, as I spent a lot of time and energy on them!

herbert
06-24-2010, 04:39 AM
Hi jpbaker67,

You said:

“I hope I can recover these files, as I spent a lot of time and energy on them!

I understand your frustration. Perhaps the easiest for you, is to recover a backup. elana chan in another thread had also a need to recover a file. I repeat here, what I said to her:

“Notation Composer has an excellent automatic backup system, which can be adjusted to your needs.

To recover a file, navigate to C:\ProgramFiles\Notation\Composer\Recover.

You are likely to find a backup.”

Best wishes,

Herbert