PDA

View Full Version : Shuffle Beat

rrayner
02-02-2000, 03:06 AM
This text was deleted and reposted on 02/03/2014.

rrayner
01-31-2014, 04:56 PM
Over the years that I have used Notation Composer, I have tried to become a better writer of drum parts for Swing/Jazz Band and Pop music. I have explained previously that at the time I attended Berklee, there was not much time given to writing drum parts. We mostly just put "sticks/brushes; play 8 measures shuffle", etc.

As I try to make Composer versions sound live, I have tried to come up with different drum sounds, etc. I heard a Pop Rock piece yesterday that made me rush to write this sample.

This "Shuffle Beat" sample is written for General Midi (GM). The D3 for the brushes on snare sounds best to me for GM. On my Clavinova, I replace the D3 with an E2, for better snare sound.

I have repeated measures 1 & 2 in measures 5 & 6. In measures 3, 4, 7 & 8, I have put the bass drum off of beat 2 for a little extra emphasis. The only reason for a full 8 measures is just to hear the sound variation a little better. And I have used upper/lower voice to try to split out the notes for better viewing.

In all the snare line (D3), the eighth notes are treated like I talk about in my "Swing Feel" discourse at:

http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=30356

The onbeat eighth notes are extended in duration from the default 233 ticks to 300 ticks (d+67), and the offbeat eighth notes have a delayed attack of 60 ticks (a+60) and an extended duration of 7 ticks (d+7).

Ralph

dj
02-01-2014, 12:25 PM
Hi, Ralph:

There's a decades-long discussion among drummers as to why Ringo Starr kept his seat with the Beatles.

"He's a terrible drummer! He's not on the beat; his high-hat lags; his snare is always early. . . " and so on, say the real musicians.

Which is exactly why he kept his seat and part of the reason why the Beatles only sold the few albums that they sold.

"I got ... rhythm... I got ... music ..." as somebody once said.

David

rrayner
02-03-2014, 12:18 PM
I have expanded the sample Notation file below by 8 measures. The first 8 measures are the same as the previous file. In the second 8 measures, I am trying a suggestion made by fellow Forum contributor, Herbert, in the "Swing Feel" thread at:

http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=30356

Herbert pointed out that the way I write my drum parts with the Hi-hat directly on the beat (a=0), that the Hi-hat sound is getting swallowed up by the other drum notes that are a=0, as is the case in this original sample with the brush on snare playing directly on the beat. Herbert suggested that the Hi-hat could be anticipated a little bit without disrupting the rhythm as a whole.

In the second 8 measures, all is the same as in the first 8 measures, with the exception that all Hi-hat sounds have a attack of -40 ticks (a-40). With this change, the Hi-hat now can be clearly heard.

Thank you, Herbert.

Ralph