PDA

View Full Version : NC v2.5.2 reinstal needed - how best to do it

jss
03-31-2010, 03:06 PM
hi,
I would like to do a complete reinstall of Notation Composer 2.5.2 (due to an unrelated matter :D). Is there a link I can download this version from please - as I do not have the release binary saved here.
Thanks
-John

Sherry C
03-31-2010, 03:13 PM
Hi,

Registered customers can visit our page at www.notation.com/Redownload.php to have your download link emailed to you so you can redownload your installation file.

If you have any problems, you can contact our Helpdesk (support@notation.com) for assistance.

ttfn,
Sherry

jss
03-31-2010, 04:19 PM
Hi Sherry,
Thanks - I have the new file for 2.5.2.

I uninstalled and then reinstalled 2.5.2 but there is a bit of a problem.

Basically when I selected the "Perform>Play along Sound", I see a list of devices (as expected). However some of these devices no longer exist on the machine at all. A soundcard that has been removed is still shows up there and so also is a "Creative sound-blaster mpu 401" which was removed years ago :) so don't know how that's re-appeared.

I had hoped a re-install would reset devices to get a new list.
Your advice on this would be appreciated.
Thanks
-John

Sherry C
03-31-2010, 05:31 PM
Hi John,

It sounds like Composer is reading from an old MidiDev.cfg file on your machine.

You can "clean house" a couple of different ways.

Method 1

1. Go to Setup/MIDI Device Configuration.
2. Select Config/Initialize
3. Click "Yes" (I really want to :) )

This will "clear out" the current configuration, detect all MIDI devices currently connected or installed on your computer, and construct a new MidiDev.cfg file for you. Do be aware that this maneuver will also delete any "special" entries you had for devices if you've set up special bank/instrument patch entries for specific MIDI devices such as synths or other sound libraries that you may have set up.

Method 2

1. Using Windows Explore, find the file "MidiDev.cfg" (the location will vary depending on the operating system you're using).
2. Delete the MidiDev.cfg file.
3. Start Composer.

When Composer starts and does not find the MidiDev.cfg file, it will create a new one from scratch, based on the MIDI device(s) that it detects as active. Again, doing this will lose any "custom" entries you may have made for MIDI device banks/instrument patches.

Method 3
(the "gentle" method)
You can simply "unplug" the ports that these devices had been assigned to, and thus remove them from the display and drop lists for MIDI devices. No information is lost, and you can reinstate the device(s) later if you need to.

1. Go to Setup/MIDI Device Configuration
2. Click on Port/Select Ports
3. Click to uncheck the boxes beside the ports (devices) that no longer exist, then click "Ok."

This last method preserves any entries you've made for MIDI device banks/patch maps, and if you decide to reinstall a device, you have the configuration ready to roll just by going back into Port/Select Port, and re-checking the port for that device.

If the above doesn't fix the problem, please let me know.

ttfn,
Sherry

jss
04-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Hi Sherry,
Thanks for such a comprehensive reply. In short your solution fixed the problem fine. In a bit more detail...
Method 1 did not completely fix the problem. Some devices still remain in the Perform>Playalong dialogue which were no longer present on the machine. However it did fix what I think may be a (minor?) bug (kind of). What happens is this:-
Say we have a machine running 2.5.2 fine. Change the soundcard. Reboot. NC lists the new soundcard but still lists the old one as well. All seems works ok but do: Perfom>Playalong sound and select appropriate device. Click "Make this the default". At that point a red warning comes up in the notification area of NC (bottom of screen somewhere). After that error appears other things go wrong with various devices and warnings popup from them. Sorry can't recall the exact text of the errors. But anyway, this fixes it all...
Method 2.
This proved (for me) the best option. I simply located mididev.cfg as you described. Renamamed it old-mididev.cfg, and rebooted. After this all devices listed were correct and the playalong sound worked and was remembered as default.
Thanks vm for your help
-John