PDA

View Full Version : Step-time entry - unwanted rests

gimproviser
03-12-2010, 08:48 AM
Hello all.
I've installed NOTATION COMPOSER, demo. version, and would rate the software overall very good indeed and excellent value for money. However, I find there is a problem during step-time entry using a MIDI controller keyboard - namely, the random inclusion of 1/8 rests. For me, this is a major problem as I do a lot of step-time entry while reading from existing music. To look up at the screen and find randomly distributed rests is really disappointing (to say the least !!). The 'way round' using Shift and left arrow to relocate the various blocks of notation is just too tiresome to be acceptable. Has anyone else found this problem ? Has anyone found an explanation ? I wonder if my keyboard is sending out messages I'm not aware of !

Sherry C
03-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Hi,

Thanks for trying out Notation Composer! The problem with Step Time Recording is on our bug list for fixing. Sorry for the current inconvenience.

ttfn,
Sherry

theharper
04-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Hi, I'm a somewhat new user of composer (version 2.6.3) and am running into this problem. The original post appears to be over a year old. Has this been fixed or is there an e.t.a. on the fix? Thanks!

Sherry C
04-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Hi,

The latest version 2.6.3 does improve on the behavior of Step Time entry, but there are some remaining quirks to improve.

A couple of things that we've found that help:

1. Don't use the Zoom feature while using Step-time - it throws off the cursor advancement (and leaves "gaps" which will then be filled with a rest :) )

2. Don't use the scroll wheel on the mouse during Step-time recording.

3. If a rest gets inserted that shouldn't be there, you can simply select the note to the right of the rest, and then press the Shift key on your keyboard along with the Left arrow button to shift the note back into its proper position.

Sorry for the remaining bother here.

ttfn,
Sherry

theharper
04-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Cool! Not perfect, but "good enough for Rock & Roll"! That's much helpful. :D

Sherry C
04-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Hi,

I definitely want to hear rock 'n' roll harp :)

ttfn,
Sherry

gimproviser
04-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Please, please try to get step time entries sorted so that unwanted rests do not appear. It's such a shame to have this problem in software which is otherwise so very attractive. It's been over a year now since I tried Notation Software, but I am still having to use my 'previous' program (no names !!) even after a long period of very curtailed musical activity. I'll soon be in my 80th year - I may not have much longer !!!! Best wishes to all.

Sherry C
04-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Hi,

Please, please try to get step time entries sorted so that unwanted rests do not appear. It's such a shame to have this problem in software which is otherwise so very attractive. It's been over a year now since I tried Notation Software, but I am still having to use my 'previous' program (no names !!) even after a long period of very curtailed musical activity. I'll soon be in my 80th year - I may not have much longer !!!! Best wishes to all.

We are actively looking for a developer or new owner after the unexpected passing of founder and developer of Notation Software, Mark Walsen (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=3551). Sorry for the inconvenience, but we are working to sort things out so that we can move ahead with development.

ttfn,
Sherry

gimproviser
04-04-2011, 08:08 PM
In response to learning of the passing of Mark Walsen, I wish all at Notation Software the best of all that may be towards achieving Mark's vision. Good luck. Stay determined.