PDA

View Full Version : Christmas/Holiday Duets - O, Christmas Tree

rrayner
12-02-2013, 02:45 PM
O, Christmas Tree (also known as "O, Tannenbaum") is credited to Melchior Franck.

There is a new direction symbol in this piece that I don't believe I have used before in these duets. In measure 20, after the fermata (hold) on beat 2, there is a pair of slashes between the held note and the final note of the measure. This indicates a break in time -- pause a second, take a breath, and continue with the remainder of the song.

Happy Holidays to all.

Ralph Rayner

dj
12-03-2013, 01:20 PM
Hi, Ralph:

I have always used the "line" graphic feature to make slashes. It never occurred to me to use free text -- duh!

Now I will.

Thanks.

David

rrayner
12-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Hi David,

The only thing I don't like about this usage of Free Text is that Free Text does not move proportionally when you transpose, which I would think many followers of this Forum do. But I don't have a better solution. I took a quick look at Lines in the Tool Bar, but that didn't seem to be what you are referencing. Does your method move proportionally when transposing?

Always happy to show a long-time user something different.

Ralph

dj
12-04-2013, 11:35 AM
No, the line option for slashes is not very successful.

The line graphics were never intended for that purpose, so it's awkward to force them to do it.

Free text is a much better solution.

David