PDA

View Full Version : Knock Three Times Duet

rrayner
08-09-2013, 03:31 PM
"Knock Three Times" was written in 1970 by L. Russell Brown and Irwin Levine. It was recorded by "Tony Orlando and Dawn" and was released in November of 1970. It hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in January of 1971.

This arrangement is essentially a reduction of the original recording without some of the repeats.

There are several things of note: 1) the 2/4 measure at 19 is the way the song was written -- the two 2/4 measures at 29 and 30 were put in simply to make the Fine easier to notate; 2) there are a number of places that Tony Orlando slurs syllables, i.e., one word, several different notes, which we would call legato. I haven't figured out a way in Composer to soften the attack in situations like this, so the end result is that when Composer plays the piece, where these slurred words occur, the notes aren't played legato by Composer. See measure 9 where the Soprano plays a dotted quarter A slurred to an eighth note G. For a wind instrument, the G would not be tongued. More examples occur in measure 11 and 13 where D to C and C to B are slurred. Do not attack the second note of these pairs. Perhaps a better way to explain it is to listen to the song on You Tube.

At any rate, we think you will find the song to be fun to play. It has a light, happy feeling to it.

Ralph Rayner

Sherry C
08-12-2013, 10:30 PM
Hi Ralph,

I remember this song :) Now, looking at the sheet music, it does have some nice changing passages to help nimble up the fingers and brain a bit.
Once again, well done, and thanks for sharing! I'll break out the pennywhistle for this one :)

ttfn,
Sherry