PDA

View Full Version : Somewhere Duet

rrayner
02-12-2013, 11:53 PM
This piece is written for Soprano Recorder and Alto Recorder. Play along with Notation Composer or print the piece for playing with your friend(s). Please feel free to change the instruments and/or keys to suit your personal needs. RRR

"Somewhere" is a love song written by Leonard Bernstein in 1957 for the Broadway musical, "West Side Story". The harmonic structure of the composition is beautiful. Before my wife Cynthia and I got married, we were uncertain if there would ever be "a place for us". Thankfully, there was, and is. This song is dedicated to Cynthia on her fourth anniversary of learning to play the recorder.

We hope your enjoy it.

Ralph Rayner

Sherry C
02-13-2013, 01:52 AM
Hi Ralph,

Nice arrangement (as always) and sweet story as well. I love stuff like that :)

Fwiw, sometimes I've been taking your duets and playing either an improv bass line or adding a third whistle improv (bass-ish in nature) just for fun. The more open duet arrangements leave some room for that type of "jam along" practice.

Thanks again for making these arrangements available to all of us!

ttfn,
Sherry

dj
02-13-2013, 11:29 AM
The lyricist for West Side Story was, of course, 19-year old Stephen Sondheim. (I call him my friend Steve, because he once actually spoke to me.)

When they were looking for a title for the show, his suggestion was "Shut Up And Dance."

Thankfully, his lyrics were of a more profound nature.

Thanks for these arrangements, Ralph.

David

JaneLewis
02-13-2013, 08:00 PM
Hi Ralph

Many thanks for this music, set as a recorder duet (and I see lots of previous ones that I will look at!). :)

I am an ex string player but am just beginning to learn tenor recorder which I think/hope is your alto line. My daughter teaches recorder (as well as other wind instruments) so your arrangements will give us plenty of lovely music to play, once I'm up to it. And, of course now I am a Notation software user I can practise along to the computer.

Thanks again, Jane

rrayner
02-13-2013, 08:26 PM
Hi Jane,

Thank for your kind words, and welcome aboard!

I am ...just beginning to learn tenor recorder which I think/hope is your alto line.

I have never tried a tenor recorder, but (perhaps your daughter can confirm this) I believe it is a concert (non-transposing) instrument like the soprano. The alto recorder is an F instrument, similar to the French Horn and the English Horn in that it transposes up a fifth from concert. But, a very powerful feature of the Notation products is that you can easily switch the alto part to concert and/or transpose it for the tenor, if the tenor is not a concert instrument.

I've seen a tenor in the stores, and the sales clerk mentioned that he plays one. He said he has a problem with reaching all of the holes (and keys?). My piano teacher at Berklee played a bass recorder when we got together for a Handel "Water Music" Jam Session.

I wish you good fortune with your endeavors. You will find a very wide selection of pop/folk/classical/jazz duets with considerable variation in level of difficulty in this "Learning and Teaching" forum.

Additionally, if you transpose the alto part to concert, you and your daughter could play a soprano recorder/violin duet. Neat!

Ralph Rayner

JaneLewis
02-13-2013, 08:41 PM
Hi again Ralph,

I think I may be wrong about the type of recorder I have - I think it may be a treble and not a tenor, I must ask my daughter!

Thank you for the very useful suggestion that I can transpose the appropriate line for the pitch of whichever recorder I have.

Jane

JaneLewis
02-14-2013, 08:33 AM
Hi Ralph,

My daughter tells me that the recorder she gave me is a Treble and that Treble = Alto, so your duet arrangements are just perfect! :)

Please excuse my senior moment yesterday :confused:

Jane

rrayner
02-18-2013, 01:26 AM
Hi Jane,

You might want to take a look at the new posting I made for "Transposing the Duets", so that you can play the lead on your Alto Recorder and still hear the proper harmony as Notation plays along with you.

Ralph

JaneLewis
02-18-2013, 07:50 AM
Hi Ralph

Thanks for the post about Transposing.

When I came to try to play the Alto line of your duets I couldn’t understand them because they show notes on the score which are below what the Alto recorder can play.

I then realised that they didn’t sound as written because they show harmonies that shouldn’t work, yet they sound OK when played by Notation on the computer.

I enlisted my daughter’s help and we found a place in one of them that showed middle C written in both staves … yet the notes were not the same when played in Notation! I couldn’t understand why, but my daughter tells me that the 5 semitones up that the Alto line had been transposed means that it can be played on the Alto recorder using Soprano recorder fingering.

We don’t learn that way over here … we learn different fingering for the two recorders. I have to transpose the Alto line so that C ‘sounds as C’ and not as F! Then, in order to look right on the staff it needed to go up an octave!

We got it sorted and I learned about transposing in the process!

Thanks for the duets and the enforced learning that came with them!

Jane

rrayner
02-18-2013, 01:59 PM
Hi Jane,

Well, I am truly staggered -- and embarrassed. My formal training was on Tenor Saxophone (Flute and Clarinet) with an orientation toward the Piano keyboard. I am a self-taught Recorder player. My wife Cynthia had bought a Soprano Recorder over 30 years ago and never learned to play it. As she is now married to a musician, she asked me to teach her to read music and play her Soprano. So, we learned the baroque fingerings for it, and after a while, she bought me an Alto Recorder. I never even looked at the fingering chart that came with the Alto. After reading your post, I frantically dug out the fingering chart that came with my Alto, and I found, exactly as you are describing, the lowest written note for baroque fingering on an Alto is the F in the bottom space of the staff. In my ignorance, I treated the Alto just like any of the other modern concert instruments, i.e., Saxophones, Clarinets, Trumpets, English and French Horns, and transposed it, and as you say, used the Soprano fingerings for it.

So, for the embarrassment part -- I've posted about 100 songs and exercises in this forum that technically and classically have Alto Recorder parts that are not written correctly. My assumption is that probably most, if not all, of this forum's reader are not actually playing an Alto Recorder and are simply transposing the Alto part for whatever instrument(s) they are playing.

Thank you very much for enlightening me in this regard. I have to say I personally prefer using the Soprano fingerings on the Alto, and not having to deal with all of those ledger lines above the staff. I will continue to post songs and exercises in the same manner, as I want to be consistent with all that I have posted before. It seems the way you treat the Alto Recorder over there should have been the way I treated it over here.

Well, this should explain all the confusion you and your daughter had to deal with. My apologies to you and to all followers of this forum who actually play Alto Recorders.

Ralph Rayner

rrayner
02-18-2013, 07:16 PM
Hi Jane,

Would you please take a look/listen to the attached file? I have tried to make it for two Altos, so that you could play Alto I and have Alto II "sound" right. I'm trying to figure out how to modify my transposition directions so they make sense to an Alto Recorder player.

The Alto II part in this version now goes too low to be properly played as written, but you will hear the correct harmony from Notation when you play the Alto I part on your Alto.

Please do let me know. I'm keenly interested in getting this right. Thank you.

Ralph Rayner

Note: All other viewers should use the file below attached to the original posting.

JaneLewis
02-18-2013, 09:34 PM
Hi Ralph

I have downloaded your revised file .... it sounds beautiful. I love the lower tones and aspire to being able to play more! The double alto recorder duet appeals greatly - I hope that my daughter and I will eventually be able to play these duets together as Alto I and Alto II. Or maybe sing them. It is nice to have the tune line written for the Alto.

I will need to enlist my daughters help again because I have only learnt 5 notes on my recorder so far .... I'm a real beginner! Also, although I learnt the violin to grade 5 at school (many decades ago), I have had no formal music training.

Watching the file play through has now taught me a bit about reading music .... D.C. al Coda and the symbol were a bit of a mystery to me and I have had trouble with this in the choir I sing with. Thanks for the further learning you are enabling. I am very new to using Notation and on a steep learning curve - but it's fun and exciting.

I'm off to bed now and possibly looking after a sick grandson tomorrow while my daughter teaches music in school.

Wishing you well.

Jane

rrayner
02-23-2013, 07:20 PM
Hi Jane,

To address some of your questions and straighten out a number of things in my own mind, please see the Transposing the Duets thread. I have made a complete revision and hopefully it will be more helpful to you.

Thank you for helping me learn some new stuff about Recorders.

Ralph Rayner

Sherry C
02-23-2013, 07:28 PM
Hi folks,

Jane and Ralph, thanks so much for your exchange here. I myself didn't realize that the different recorders (being in different keys) simply used different fingerings rather than transposing for a single fingering style.

I play whistles, and I learned fingering in key of D (or G), and so whenever I've used Ralph's (or anyone else's) scores, I always transpose the part I want to play for whistle to fit my learned fingering. Ergo, I never had a second thought about how Ralph was doing it :) (I also have no idea if that's "the way it's done" or if I just presumed - most whistle music is in D or G, and a little C.)

Anyway, I've learned something new, and that's always good :)

Thanks!
Sherry

aulos43
04-13-2013, 02:05 AM
I tried to add something to this thread yesterday regarding scoring for recorders, based on the version for Jane, but after examining the file closely, discovered my post was confused and not helpful, so I deleted it.

I've been playing -- and occasionally writing for -- recorders for over 40 years now, and it still is an effort to keep straight the relationship of the concert pitch for the various instruments with the various conventions for notating them. Rather than droning on, I'll just post a version for soprano and alto recorder that is consistent with a typical approach to scoring for them.

Ralph, this was definitely a learning experience for me -- much enjoyed,

Walt

rrayner
04-13-2013, 01:03 PM
Walt - I am truly interested in what you have to say and your experiences. I must admit, my scoring for recorders is the equivalent of scoring for saxophones or clarinets, etc. My wife Cynthia and I have been playing recorders for only a little over 4 years, and are having a ball with it. My primary instrument was tenor saxophone, but I am self-taught on recorder and I am my wife's teacher. So, we didn't approach recorder from the traditional training side.

I didn't think your original post was confusing. I had given Jane the caveat that the Alto II part went below the range of the Alto. It was really just for her personal playing as a soloist playing the lead part accompanied by a second voice that I really should have changed to tenor recorder -- just a hurry-up job on my part.

I have a beautiful, mellow, Pearwood Hohner Alto, and I love the lower register. Admittedly, in a concert ensemble setting, the lower register wouldn't penetrate very well, but for just the two of us, it sounds quite nice. Writing for the alto lower register also helps to keep the soprano lower and more mellow.

For a short while at Berklee, we had a recorder quartet, led by my piano instructor. He had a bass recorder as I recall, although it was so long ago, I may be remembering wrong. Perhaps it was a tenor. So the four of us played some Handel and Bach and had fun with it. I imagine I was probably playing a soprano, so maybe it was 2 sopranos, an alto and a tenor. We only played a couple of times due to the other pressures of school work, but that was my only exposure to recorders before our current learning period.

I am glad that you are enjoying the duets. It is good to hear that there are actually some recorder players enjoying the forum. Until I heard from Jane, I assumed that the Forum followers were wind and brass players who would be transposing the parts as they required. The main thrust was to provide a harmony part for a soloist playing along with Notation. I was writing the duets for my wife and I, so why not share them with the Notation community.

Ralph

JaneLewis
04-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Thanks Walt

Your file plays as I would expect pitch-wise and is lovely.

However, I would have expected the soprano line (your alto I) to have been written on the score an octave lower with the treble clef showing an octave up (the little 8 at the top of the clef). This avoids all the upper ledger lines and would mean that the first note for the soprano recorder would be written as a middle C although it would sound an octave up.

I took your file and clicked on the Alto I treble clef at the beginning and went through the options that came up. I picked the one with the little 8 at the top and it corrected the score without altering the pitches … so problem solved!

The Alto II line is correctly shown and plays correctly for the treble/alto recorder.

I re-attach your score J :)

Many thanks, Jane

aulos43
04-14-2013, 05:41 PM
Jane,

Of course I uploaded the wrong file.

I get to cranking out various versions of a file, and even though I've got a naming convention, I still get them mixed up more than occasionally. That file is actually intended as an alto duet, though the melody spends most of its time in the challenging range. (I've been working through some of the exercises in "The Charlton Method for the Recorder" by the late Andrew Charlton, so I may be a bit desensitized to seeing so many ledger lines -- even though I still have a heck of a time playing up there with any musicality.)

Attached is the version I intended to share. It is for soprano and alto -- and is essentially identical to your 'retransp' version.

Walt

aulos43
04-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Ralph,

I'm enjoying this discussion. I've been away from writing for recorders for a while -- focusing most recently on transcribing proto-classic symphonists from scores in the IMSLP. So this is turning into a valuable re-acquaintance with the issues and techniques of scoring recorders -- plus I'm gaining more proficiency with Notation Composer.

Yes, the lower register can be pleasing, especially in small groups of recorders. This "Somewhere Duet" reminds me of some of the pieces in a book of intermediate-level alto duets by Hans Ulrich Staeps, "Zu zweien durch den Tonkreis" (copyright 1951), and he does not avoid the lower range.

As a further exercise, I've transposed your duet yet again, this time putting the accompaniment as low as possible on the tenor recorder -- getting lots of practice with slur manipulations. This results in a tenor duet, though the melody could be played on soprano. The key signature of Ab results in a low Db, which is not readily available on some tenors. Anyhoo, it sounds nice in NC.

Walt

JaneLewis
04-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Hi Walt and Ralph

I have lots of versions of Somewhere Duet now! :)

This last one for 2 tenor recorders is interesting. Apart from the fact that I am a beginner and cannot manage a key signature with 4 flats (and haven't reached the top notes yet!), there is only one note below the range of the alto recorder in the Tenor I line, as written. Unfortunately it is the very first note! :D

I have now also acquired a tenor recorder but have put learning this on hold because the fingering is different and I need to become more proficient on the alto recorder first. However, I love the lower register and have big hands and think that I will be able to manage a tenor (eventually). I am wondering if I should have started with the tenor because the fingering is the same as the descant(soprano) recorder.

I am having great fun with music - I just wish I had more time and could learn faster!

The different terminology, which I presume is due to the geographical difference between us, sometimes catches me out. I know the soprano recorder as a descant, the alto as a treble. And Notation Software has lots of unfamiliar terminology which makes using Help difficult! :confused: I first learned an instrument 60 years ago and in all those years had never come across the term 'measure' until I started to use Notation Software. Measures have always been 'bars' before! But it is good for keeping the grey matter going, especially the lateral thinking required to use Help when it doesn't understand my terminology.

I will keep the duet for 2 tenors for later :)

Many thanks for all your posts and duets.

Jane
P.S. Yes, one does get lots of practice re-shaping/re-aligning slurs when doing transpositions. I didn't bother last time :o