PDA

View Full Version : Inserting a rest measure at the start

Statue
01-22-2010, 01:46 AM
Hi,

I often use Notation Musician to clean up and prepare midi files to make them useful for use as lessons on my Yamaha keyboard (making sure they are split by left/right hand and notes allocated to the right staves etc.).

They tend to work fine after doing this and then converting them to format 0 using GN1:0.

However, on a very small number of them, I find the lessons on my keyboard seem to begin not at the very beginning of the piece, but after a note or two into measure 1. I'm not sure what causes that behaviour but I'm trying to work around it by inserting a pure rest or dummy measure at the beginning of the problem midi files. However, when I try to do this in Notation Musician, it doesn't seem to allow me to place a bar or start bar *before* any of the notes of the piece (however far left I click when adding a start bar, it drops a start bar after measure 1, but that's not what I'm aiming for!).

Maybe I'm not doing it correctly, in which case I'd appreciate a hint (I have searched the manual and knowledgebase and forums but didn't find what I'm doing wrong).

Thanks

Sherry C
01-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Howdy,

Musician doesn't have the capability to insert a measure - you'd need Composer for inserting measures. You can try it out free for 30 days from www.notation.com/Download.htm Composer has a lot of other features, too. If Musician is meeting your needs, you may find the additional features unnecessary.

ttfn,
Sherry

Statue
01-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the info. That's a shame. I understand that Composer has a load of additional features and needs to have to make it a viable upgrade to Musician, but a limited feature of sticking a dummy or rest measure at the start of a piece in Musician wouldn't really detract from what Composer has to offer - it isn't so much something to allow for composing as to allow for cleaning and preparation of a midi file (in the same way as are deleting erroneous notes and moving notes to more appropriate staves for LH and RH). Might be something to consider adding in future versions for convenience (though tbh it might be that I'm in an odd minority experiencing the problem of midis losing their first couple of notes in some files when played on my Yamaha lesson mode - I do have a fairly old keyboard, a DGX-505).