PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Bar Rests

adrianallan
01-02-2010, 01:33 PM
It is perhaps worth noting that the reason I was forced to use Sibelius for part-preparation is due to the fact that this software does not display multi-bar rests, so you could end up with a whole page of empty bars on a part, which even for amateur ensembles isn't ideal.

One thing you do have better than Sibelius is export XML files.

I wanted to post my score to a Finale user from Sibelius, but can you believe that you can only import XML and not export without an add-on piece of software ?

I think that all music software should have import and export XML as standard now, as it's a great way of bridging sofware in a way that midi cannot.

Sherry C
01-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Howdy Adrian,

It is perhaps worth noting that the reason I was forced to use Sibelius for part-preparation is due to the fact that this software does not display multi-bar rests, so you could end up with a whole page of empty bars on a part, which even for amateur ensembles isn't ideal.

Please take a look at "Staff (or Format)/Hide Resting Staves" and see if that is the option you're looking for. If it is indeed the solution you needed, where were you looking for it but didn't find it? We like to know these things, so as to make them more obvious in future releases.

I think that all music software should have import and export XML as standard now, as it's a great way of bridging sofware in a way that midi cannot.We're working on that one :)

ttfn,
Sherry

adrianallan
01-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Hi Sherry

Had a quick play with hide resting staves as suggested, but for some reason couldn't get the desired result.

So if a clarinet has 20 bars' rest when you print out its part I want a single barline with a thick block in the middle and 20 written above it.

Is that what you can do here with hide resting staves ?

Sherry C
01-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Howdy Adrian,

Hi Sherry

Had a quick play with hide resting staves as suggested, but for some reason couldn't get the desired result.

So if a clarinet has 20 bars' rest when you print out its part I want a single barline with a thick block in the middle and 20 written above it.

Is that what you can do here with hide resting staves ?

Ah - try Measure/collapse multiple measure rests. Then check the box in the dialog, and click "Ok."

ttfn,
Sherry

adrianallan
01-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Yes - it works perfectly

That teaches me a lesson to always read the instruction manual !

Ps I always use your software to input the notes, and only use sibelius to add the final touches.

thanks

adrian

JohnSaxman
02-10-2014, 02:44 AM
new user here - i see how to collapse multiple bar rests, but is there a way to highlite specific bars so that rests do not run over between sections of a piece?

For example, you could have a 2 bar intro (sax is resting), and then in the following 12 bar phrase is also resting. When collapsing rests, you end up with a 14 bar section of rest.

I would like to show these as two distinct rests to distinguish the sections of the song. Any tips?

dj
02-10-2014, 01:53 PM
Hi, John:

Composer will collapse all sequential empty bars into one section, so if you want to separate sections, put a rehearsal mark (SHIFT-R, then SHIFT-R again if you see a rest icon) at the bar where you want the separation. It can be a letter or even be empty or just a dot or whatever.

That will show up in all extracted parts, but if you've got a significant enough musical change at that spot to warrant separating the collapsed rests, it probably warrants a rehearsal mark, anyway.

Hope that helps.

David

JohnSaxman
02-10-2014, 02:24 PM
thanks so much - that's exactly what I was looking for. Problem solved.