PDA

View Full Version : problem notating notes in weird Time Signature

Falderie
12-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Hello!

Getting to the end of my Second Symphony now and there is something strange going on.
I have some weird time signatures, like 11/16 and 13/16. Now it seems that after such a weird signature, the notes aren't getting in the right position.
I have made some pic's so I can make myself clear on this.

This is how it looks in MultitrackStudio in the pianoroll, where I composed this stuff. It's two bars of 11/16 followed by a 3/4
pianorollMTS.jpg

MTS isn't that good with notes, but this is how it looks:
notesMTS.jpg

And this is what Composer shows:
notesComposer.jpg

But this is what it Should Be:
Shouldbe.jpg

Now, if it was only one bar and only one instrument, I wouldn't complain and just correct it by hand, but this goes on several times for 28 instruments. It takes alot of time to do it all by hand.
Can someone please take a look at it? Thanks in advance!

Ingrid

Sherry C
12-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Hi Ingrid,

Since you're using MTS to initially enter the notes, I'm assuming you're exporting a .mid (MIDI) file which you're then importing into Composer. If that's correct, then having a copy of the .mid file to look at would be most helpful. That way, I can better see what Composer gets to interpret into notation.

Thanks!
Sherry

Falderie
12-23-2009, 01:10 PM
Hello Sherry,

Thanks for answering so fast!
Here it is, only the flute part, but I guess that will be enough to sort things out.

Now, when I attache the mid file it shows a cross, so hopefully you can get it. If not, please let me know how to send it to you, since I can't find an option to send it in an attachement through email or private message.

Ingrid

Sherry C
12-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Hi Ingrid,

Could you please tell me which measures the examples below were taken from?

Thanks!
Sherry

Falderie
12-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Of course! Silly me!
It's bar 6, 7 and 8

Sherry C
12-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Hi Ingrid,

From what I can see, the main problems with the transcription are the two notes/rests that occur right around the barlines that I have circled below:

Is that correct? If so, it's a bug in Composer, and I'll report it for fixing.
(This is the Piano Roll view, where I wanted to see if perhaps the .mid file was not saving quite like what the sequencer was showing. The .mid file does look like it's saving correctly, and thus it's a bug in Composer's transcription of the rest/note sequence right around the barline.)

As a side note, I'm curious about what features you find helpful in sequencing a file in MTS rather than directly in Composer. I'm asking because we're always looking for ways to improve our software, and if there's something that you find helpful in other software that we can borrow ideas from, then that helps everyone :)

Thanks!
Sherry

(note added: this cross references task 2141)

Falderie
12-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Yup, that's the problem.
Seems like Composer doesn't recognize odd 16th signatures. I have to admit, it is a bit strange and as far as I know, only Frank Zappa used a 21/16th once in his music ;-)

I compose in MTS using the pianoroll like I showed. That way I won't get bothered or trapped in thinking in measures, time signatures, what kind of notes to use and all the other very difficult and annoying stuff.
A downside is, that sometimes I end up with 11/16th and 13/16th time signatures to get all my notes in the bar I want it to be.

Composing in MTS and getting it understandable for other musicians in Composer is just a great combination of 2 (for me) very great software products.
MTS is more for audio and Composer is for the notes.
I understand you would like to develop a total software product with all features in it. MTS is trying to do the same. But I'm affraid it will get the software so complicated that it's undoable to work with it like it is now.

So, for me, I wouldn't want to see it any different.
But I saw somewhere on this forum that you are working on getting the dynamics implemented in the audio. I would *love* to see that. Also trying to get the people of MTS to do the same. It would save me alot of time getting all the dynamics in the score :D

But that's a complete different topic.
I'm glad the bug I've mentioned have your attention!

Ingrid