PDA

View Full Version : Multiple instruments to 1

hgytfdre
12-22-2009, 01:48 AM
I am wanting to create the sheet music for Babar in just the piano, the midi I have (attached) has multiple instruments and I was wanting to know if I can make it all just piano? :confused: or if some1 could make it just piano and post it :D

Sherry C
12-22-2009, 01:46 PM
Hi,

In both Musician and Composer you can use "Part/Prepare piano reduction". Then select the stave(s) you want to include (you may need to experiment a bit with that, to get a good feel for which staves you want to include or exclude) and the software will then give you a two-handed piano reduction of the file.

Enjoy :)
Sherry

djimtio
12-22-2009, 03:09 PM
Hi
Chanches are that you may not like this.:(
Merge all staves and than split hands in STAFF
This is the result. 112

Djim

Sherry C
12-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Hi guys,

Hi
Chanches are that you may not like this.:(
Merge all staves and than split hands in STAFF
This is the result. 112

Djim

Yep - using all the staves can often result in a mess.

Depending on the file, and how difficult or easy you want the two-hand score to be (and what particular aspects of the song you like :) ), you'll usually need to try a few different ways of reducing the file to give you (1) something you like (2) something that's playable and (3) resembles the song :)

Typically you'll want to be sure to include (1) a staff with the bass line, to establish the foundation of the song (I'd say that even if I weren't a bass player ;) ) (2) a staff that has any "signature" licks in it and (3) the staff that contains the melody. If you start off with these foundational staves, you can then try doing different iterations of the song by adding in other staves during the "Part/prepare piano reduction" steps to hear how they enhance (or distract) from the song.

You can make multiple reductions, and name each Part differently using the Part/Display or define part dialog. Just change the name in the lower left, click "Change Part name", then click the "Display part and exit" button. Do that each time you try out a reduction, and you'll be able to then just use the Part drop list at the top to compare the different reductions you've done and pick the one you like the best.

Enjoy!
Sherry

Sherry C
12-23-2009, 11:36 AM
Hi guys,

Addendum for this particular piece:

When you find "full band" files that you want to make into piano reductions, there will also be times when you may need to change the pitches of some staves to accomplish a good (and playable) two-hand piano piece :)

For example, in this particular file, there is a staff named "piano bass", but it's notated (and played) in the file in the treble clef. If you just leave that and do the reduction, then it crowds out the melody, and makes a sheet-music nightmare (as Djim so poignantly pointed out). Something as simple as (1) selecting that staff (2) using Region/convert to selected notes and (3) lowering the pitches by an octave will give you that same bass line, but in an actual left-hand part that complements rather than confuses the right-hand melody part.

Also, the violins, strings, and guitar parts are really accompaniment chords, so those staves can be lowered an octave to allow the left hand to play the accompaniment chords while the right hand plays the melody parts of some of the other staves.

So, shifting those staves' notes down an octave, and selecting "all staves" in the Piano reduction wizard gives the following result:

It's still a bit daunting (check out those 6-note left-hand chords in measures 9-11 :eek:) but it's a much more promising start, and can easily be edited by removing those "extra-pinky" notes (eg. from the six-note chords), or other "clutter" notes that aren't essential to the piece to give a playable two-handed piano piece. The rest of the editing really will depend on your tastes and skills, so have fun with it!

Enjoy!
Sherry